Rear engine snapper blade engagement

jumpstart

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased an older 30 inch rear engine snapper mower for my 8 year old grandson to mow their yard. Everything is good except he can't push the blade engage lever forward enough to lock it in because the spring is to stiff, I think. I haven't been able to find an adjustment for the spring tension to make it easier for him to engage the blade. Could anyone give me any advice how to relieve some of the pressure on the spring? Thank you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While I am all for children being given tasks to do around the house
However I feel 8 is a trifle too young to be driving a ride on, even a small RER
A push mower, only just, string trimmer ok, manual edger no problems.
Rake excellent then they will appreciate baggers & mulchers, but riding mower probably a bit much for kids under 12 to appreciate the potential dangers in using that equipment.

jumpstart

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will agree with you in many cases, however, this 8 year old has been operating my snapper since he was 6. Many farm kids are a little different in that they have responsibilities at a younger age and develop a sense of self preservation and good common sense earlier in life. I was raking hay with an 8N Ford tractor at 7 years old and running an 80 horsepower tractor pulling a disc and plow at 10. With that being said neither my wife or my daughter can engage the blade on this mower so I need to come up with a way to let some pressure off the spring. I can take it apart and install a weaker spring I suppose but was hoping someone might know of an easier fix. Thanks for your reply.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We don't get Snappers down here although I feel they probably were imported badge engineered to a local brand.
If this is a deck that moves foreward to tension the belt then goes over center to stop it slipping back then the easy trick is a longer belt.
Downside is the mower might cut lower and the blades will loose some balls but if he is only mowing the house lawn that should not be a problem.\
Also have a look at the actual belt run.
Usually at 1/2 cutting height the pulleys will be in alignment thus the belt will be at its loosest at this height.
Other than that a single link of chain between the end of the spring & its anchor point will take some of the sting out of its pull.

cashman

Threads
I sold a Snapper to an elderly woman one time and she had a similar complaint because of arthritis in her hands. We extended the engagement lever about 4" and it gave her a little more leverage and made it a lot easier for her.

jumpstart

Forum Newbie
Threads
I sold a Snapper to an elderly woman one time and she had a similar complaint because of arthritis in her hands. We extended the engagement lever about 4" and it gave her a little more leverage and made it a lot easier for her.

Thanks for the advise cashman. You are right on. I slipped a 8 inch long piece of pipe over the lever today which made engaging the blade much easier so lengthening the lever is the fix I'm looking for. Thanks again.