Estimated mowing time with 48" WB for 3/4 acre

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I appreciate the input guys!

The mower's maximum speed is 7 MPH. That is only a few miles slower than a Z. I won't be walking thanks to the sulky!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello,

I am bidding on a property that is about 3/4 acre. It's all flat except at the ends there are some good slopes. Nothing a 48" can't handle ;) There are also quite a few trees and flower beds (around 15 obstacles). I was wondering if anyone could let me know how much time it would take me to trim and mow this size property? I know there are a lot of variables, but I have never mowed with a 48" mower before and I want to get the best bid possible to get this account.

The best bid possible or the right bid. Your looking at the going rate for lawncare which is basically $1.00 a minute so if the job will take 30 to 45 minutes your looking at $30 to $45 a cut minimum. The problem you have bidding on a job is someone really wanting the job will always say or bid less than the job is worth. If you can't make a dollar a minute minimum the job isn't worth doing.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree with Ric. As I tell anyone I'm bidding a job for when they ask for a lower price. Lower price requires a lower quality job and I just can't do a lower quality job. That way if they go with a lower bid they kind of know what they are getting.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know about the pricing thing. I just want the most accurate bid possible (don't want to overbid, nor underbid), but I have a feeling a low baller will roll in since the person is getting multiple estimates done. I hate it when they do that. They just take the cheapest.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know about the pricing thing. I just want the most accurate bid possible (don't want to overbid, nor underbid), but I have a feeling a low baller will roll in since the person is getting multiple estimates done. I hate it when they do that. They just take the cheapest.

That's the reason I stayed with the residential jobs. Bid jobs can make you great money but you can also lose big money. You can't adjust your life style with those kinda jobs because you can lose to much money at one time.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's the reason I stayed with the residential jobs. Bid jobs can make you great money but you can also lose big money. You can't adjust your life style with those kinda jobs because you can lose to much money at one time.

Very true. I sometimes feel like bidding it a little on the low side to get it and learn (I have never mowed big yards with the right mowers). But, on the other hand, it is a matter of self respect. Not charging enough will hurt me more than do me any good. I will keep on marketing in high end residential. Got 500 door hagners almost ready to go.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Very true. I sometimes feel like bidding it a little on the low side to get it and learn (I have never mowed big yards with the right mowers). But, on the other hand, it is a matter of self respect. Not charging enough will hurt me more than do me any good. I will keep on marketing in high end residential. Got 500 door hangers almost ready to go.

Not charging enough doesn't necessarily hurt you. You really need to charge some where in the vicinity of what your area or location can handle. Just be competitive with the businesses that are there already. It's funny how some guys look at pricing a lawn cut. I know guys that judge a price for a lawn cut by what type of car they see in a driveway or how many cars they have in a drive or how nice a home a person has and it's really ridiculous.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not charging enough doesn't necessarily hurt you. You really need to charge some where in the vicinity of what your area or location can handle. Just be competitive with the businesses that are there already. It's funny how some guys look at pricing a lawn cut. I know guys that judge a price for a lawn cut by what type of car they see in a driveway or how many cars they have in a drive or how nice a home a person has and it's really ridiculous.

It's hard to charge in the vicinity when we are flooded with low ballers.

I price according to the lawn and conditions. Not the car, house, etc. I distribute flyers in high end residential because I get more work out there.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's hard to charge in the vicinity when we are flooded with low ballers.

I price according to the lawn and conditions. Not the car, house, etc. I distribute flyers in high end residential because I get more work out there.

That's the problem with the Lawncare business. Too many beer drinkin lowballers. I never really found a way around them and they give the legit guys a bad name. I see them here also and the guys that are trying to make an honest living and that are established don't really get hurt, it's the guys that are trying to get established that bare the brunt. Hopefully your Higher end neighborhoods will pan out but the lowballers are there also. Hopefuuly you can be there to fix things after the lowballers screw things up.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have found that low ballers are not a problem in high end neighborhoods.