JD LX277 Kawasaki Oil leak - what to do?

subvet

Threads
I have a older LX277 with 17 HP Kawasaki 596 hrs.
It started a small oil leak toward end of last season but I could not find it.
After my initial oil change this year, I did a good cleaning to my dismay the Kawasaki has an oil leak that will pool after running a few mins..
Not certain, but looks like it may be coming from the Case gasket where the 2 halves of the case come together.
Just to the left of the oil filter, and Yes, I triple checked the oil filter.

Anyone experience this from a Kawasaki? I have had many Briggs and Tecumsehs with tons of hours but never a case leak.
She runs well otherwise, I am just too lazy to tear her down myself :cool:
so I am wondering if it is worth send out to get fixed.
Maybe sell her for parts? what would she be worth?

jd lx277 leak-s.jpg

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Oil leaks can be a hard to find some times seeing oil will travel. Just clean up everything real good and run it.

subvet

Threads
Oil leaks can be a hard to find some times seeing oil will travel. Just clean up everything real good and run it.

Yeah, I got her cleaned up and think the leak is from the casing gasket.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is a odd place for it to start leaking unless the bolts become loose. Has it been taken apart before? Maybe just try tighten the bolts that fasten the cast together.

subvet

Threads
That is a odd place for it to start leaking unless the bolts become loose. Has it been taken apart before? Maybe just try tighten the bolts that fasten the cast together.

This engine has never been disassembled.
I checked the bolts that I could reach and they were all tight.
I had recently read that there was a known problem with some of the Kawasaki's with a case gasket leak.
My brother inlaw had a John Deere with a Kawasaki that had a case gasket leak that was fixed under warranty.
I think his was a single cylinder verses my twin

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The picture is really not good enough to help diagnose the issue. I would like a picture more from the left to see engine where you think the oil is coming from. I would also like a picture from front to see oil filter to engine.

After I posted this and read it. The post sound like I am demanding or something. This is not the case at all. I just suck at writing. So please excuse any unintended undertones.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
See our discussion above on the oil leak on one other thread. My guess: crankcase pressure blow out of gasket section.

subvet

Threads
The picture is really not good enough to help diagnose the issue. I would like a picture more from the left to see engine where you think the oil is coming from. I would also like a picture from front to see oil filter to engine.

After I posted this and read it. The post sound like I am demanding or something. This is not the case at all. I just suck at writing. So please excuse any unintended undertones.

LOL, It is dark now I will try to get one and put it up

subvet

Threads

here is a close up
Arrow points to the gasket I think it may be leaking from
LX277-Leak closeup 2S.jpg

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seeing that no oil is above that point I would agree with you. now you get to pull the engine and tighten all the bolts or replace the gasket then reassemble the engine.