Engine couple issues

husky222

Forum Newbie
Threads
hello all.....looks like a very informative forum.......glad i joined...

i have a couple issues maybe you can help me with, i have a husky tractor with the kohler courage 24 hp v-twin engine
issue #1 could you tell me if and where the idle screw is located....idles way too fast on low idle, once you get to 1/2 throttle and set the throttle all the way down, idle doesn't change hardly at all
issue#2 also have intermittent hard start problem after engine hot...engine cranks and cranks but finally starts, does not smell flooded though.....i put e3 spark plugs in last year and took them out this year and am going back to ngk....have had much luck with ngk......was wondering if there could be any other isues other than that.................other than that love my husky tractor

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Slip an inline spark tester onto one of the plug leads and watch it while you are cranking the engine.
If the sparks are nice & consistant then have a look at the fuel cut off solenoid on the bottom of the carb.
If they do not retract fully fuel can not flow through the carb to the engine.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have this exact engine. From day one after hot it needed choke to start from hot. Then turn off or will die from choke. Or if you find the sweet spot at somewhere around 3/4 throttle it will start. I found it by reducing throttle from full down to 3/4 but can never find it if im at low idle and go to 3/4 throttle. You are supposed to lower to 3/4 throttle before you turn off the engine anyway.

husky222

Forum Newbie
Threads
i will try both suggestions.....did it again today, started hard regardless of throttle....when it did sputtered for a couple minutes then finally smoothed out but smoked for a few minutes after then cleared up........this was a start up after engine warm. one thing, i could smell fuel while cranking this time, the solenoid does sound suspect as i had trouble with a briggs engine once same symptoms, ended up disconnecting solenoid and putting a shut off valve on fuel line...took care of that issue....may try that...............thanks for your help

one more question is the new briggs and stratton engine with no choke start fuel injected?