Advice needed/Hustler Sport Zero Turn Mower

missy1462

Forum Newbie
Threads
First off, I know nothing about engines. Secondly, I'm posting on behalf on my hubs. He has a Hustler Sport, which is probably 4 years old and has always ran like a charm. A few weeks ago, he changed the fuel filer, oil, and plug(s) (I don't know if there is more than one), sharpened the blades and got it ready for the season. He mowed our yard and fields twice his mower ran perfectly. Our son-in-law called wanting to borrow it, and hubs told him he'd have to put gas in it since we were out. He did and mowed his grass. When hubs went to mow Saturday, it ran rough, what he called loping, and it was backfiring through the air filter (If I understood him correctly). He asked my sil if the gas was old, and thought maybe he had put old gas in the mower. He siphoned all the old gas out, and added new. Purchased another gas filter, because the one he just changed suddenly looked very bad. None of this has helped any and hubs is beyond frustrated now. Would anyone have any suggestion as to what he could/should do next? I certainly appreciate any suggestions/advice you could give us. I am attaching some pics of the fuel filter he had just put on a couple of weeks before our son-in-law used the mower and put his gas in it. 12966128_10208722668722100_130060587_n.jpg12966753_10208722669642123_529263947_n.jpg12939363_10208722669922130_1397149444_n.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hells bells what was he keeping the fuel in ?

Hubby will most likely need to pull the bottom off the carburettor, clean it out then run enough fuel through the system till it runs clean.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would also remove and clean fuel tank. I have never seen gas that dirty.

missy1462

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hells bells what was he keeping the fuel in ?

Hubby will most likely need to pull the bottom off the carburettor, clean it out then run enough fuel through the system till it runs clean.

Would you know of any directions/links that would show him how to clean the carburetor out? What to do?

missy1462

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would also remove and clean fuel tank. I have never seen gas that dirty.

How would I find something that would show me how to take the bolts out - as in, he took two of the bolts off the fuel tank Saturday night, but there is a third bolt that he couldn't figure out how to get to? It's at the front of the tank but the bolt head is not accessible.

PS -- I sure do appreciate the replies we have received.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On most ZTR's you need to remove the top cover, fender if you like to access all of the fuel thank bolts.
I probably would have just pulled the fuel line off at the fuel pump then dropped it down low into a catch can of some sort.
As for the carb, it will depend upon what carb you have and that depends upon what engine you have.

On the UP side you now know what to buy the sone in law for his birthday.
A nice new plastic fuel canister.:laughing:

missy1462

Forum Newbie
Threads
On most ZTR's you need to remove the top cover, fender if you like to access all of the fuel thank bolts.
I probably would have just pulled the fuel line off at the fuel pump then dropped it down low into a catch can of some sort.
As for the carb, it will depend upon what carb you have and that depends upon what engine you have.

On the UP side you now know what to buy the sone in law for his birthday.
A nice new plastic fuel canister.:laughing:

Yes sir, a brand new gas can!!! I had to move the mower out of the building a bit ago, and noticed that there was just barely a drop or two of gas in that new fuel filter. Is that normal? I thought it would have been full of fuel. Thoughts?

tbarnett

Threads
Nasty looking. Sad thing, but one reason I stopped loaning stuff to people a long time ago, relatives included.

Have_Blue

Threads
Nasty looking. Sad thing, but one reason I stopped loaning stuff to people a long time ago, relatives included.

Amen! Over the years, I've had more of my stuff damaged by borrowers than me.

Believe it or not, a fuel tank can be cleaned in place by removing all fuel lines and flushing it with hot soapy water. Rinse with hot clear water. Finish with a pint of rubbing alcohol to absorb the water. Replace lines and put a little gas in it right away to dilute any remaining alcohol.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes sir, a brand new gas can!!! I had to move the mower out of the building a bit ago, and noticed that there was just barely a drop or two of gas in that new fuel filter. Is that normal? I thought it would have been full of fuel. Thoughts?

That is quite normal.
If you still have the old filter, cut it in 1/2 lengthways and you will see there is generally only one hole in the outlet side and that is about 1/4" from the inlet.
So if the filter is sitting outlet up & inlet down you get air trapped in the top of the filter.
I used to go to great efforts to purge this air out because it looks bad when I return the mower but gave up on it a year ago.