AYP drive belt

joper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own / operate a small engine repair shop and have serviced and or repaired dozens apon dozens (probably thousands by now LOL) Craftsman (AYP) tractors. Every once in a while I come across one where the drive belt comes off, even with new belt. It seems only to happen to hydro units (for example 917.270923). Apon inspection of all components (spring / linkage) all appear to be ok. There is a belt guide that is mounted on the trans axle (under pulley / fan). The belt comes off and gets pinched between the pulley and the trans axle. Always at that same spot. By bending that belt guide seems to fix it, but that's doesn't seem to me the correct way to repair. If that were the case, the belt guide would be bend from the factory. Anyone else come across this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have found that what you describe happens a lot when the transmission support bracket comes loose from the transmission allowing it to rock every time you change direction. If it happens in reverse the belt gets trapped between the pulley and the tranny. If it happens in forward will through the belt off the top of the pulley. Most will show signs of frame cracking around where the tranny axles mount to the frame.

If the belt is coming off at the moment when the brake/clutch is released after starting that may be belt guide issue. the other reasons I have found for the belt jumping the pulley is debris in the belt or pulley, or the customer will ride the clutch/brake pedal to control speed rather than using the speed control lever.