Angle Grinder

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
After 50 years of hard use my 7 in. Skill angle grinder fan broke and destroyed the armature. So now is the time for a new one. I am seeing a lot of different price ranges for them from Harbor Freight to big money commensal models. I am thinking about getting a DE Walt in the 150 dollar range but heard they are made in China? This coming Monday I am going to the local Tool Ranch and see what they have. My son-in -law thinks I should get the 4.5 in grinder instead of the 7 in. I got customer mower blades to sharpen this week end and borrowed a 4.5 in De Walt Grinder but it just doesn't have the feel of my old 7 in. grinder. For one thing it is much higher RPMs and I have to be careful not to over heat the blades. What angle grinder does anybody else use and how do you like it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most important thing is a metal gearbox with metal gears and bearings on both the gearbox and motor armature.
Cheap grinders run the armature dirctly on the plastic casing which is fine if you only use it once or twice a week for a few minutes at a time.
If the saw does not "Brag" about the above features then it does not have them regrdless of the brand on the box.
DeWalts are 1/3 the price they used to be and I doubt that is because the shareholders decided they wanted a smaller dividend.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
After 50 years of hard use my 7 in. Skill angle grinder fan broke and destroyed the armature. So now is the time for a new one. I am seeing a lot of different price ranges for them from Harbor Freight to big money commensal models. I am thinking about getting a DE Walt in the 150 dollar range but heard they are made in China? This coming Monday I am going to the local Tool Ranch and see what they have. My son-in -law thinks I should get the 4.5 in grinder instead of the 7 in. I got customer mower blades to sharpen this week end and borrowed a 4.5 in De Walt Grinder but it just doesn't have the feel of my old 7 in. grinder. For one thing it is much higher RPMs and I have to be careful not to over heat the blades. What angle grinder does anybody else use and how do you like it.

I use a Makita 4.5 to sharpen my blades and it's always done a good job. I've had the thing forever and it still runs strong.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Black & Decker owns DeWalt

The Black & Decker is built for the home owner and the De Walt is for someone in the trades. We do have a Black & Decker store out by us and they do sell both brands in it. I still have a few of the old aluminum Black & Decker electric drills hanging around, use them 5 minuets and they get so hot you can't handle them. They were just cheap junk. Most of the electric drills sold these days are cordless and will out power one of them old aluminum B&D drills.

Mikel1

Threads
I don't think black and decker is that bad nowadays. I bought two b&d jig saws several years ago and both work great. They used to be junk, skill wasn't much better. Dewalt seems to still be good, I have a miter saw by them.
I like to do research on tools I buy, Amazon reviews are one of the first places I check.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't think black and decker is that bad nowadays. I bought two b&d jig saws several years ago and both work great. They used to be junk, skill wasn't much better. Dewalt seems to still be good, I have a miter saw by them.
I like to do research on tools I buy, Amazon reviews are one of the first places I check.

I will check out the Amazon reviews, thanks

PUSH

Threads
at work I have many Milwaukee tools - they just outlast everything else I have every used.
Now whenever I have to replace a heavy duty tool it's with a Milwaukee.

- the 4.5" Grinder 6147-30 is an 11 amp is a beast - a little e heavy @ 8lbs but has a 5yr warranty.

I also have a 4.2 hp 7" grinder 6088-31 super beast @ 13lbs its a work out but it will grind a stump down.

They make many different models of the 4.5" with different features. one of them is only 3.5lbs 7.0 amp 6130-33 5yr warranty

at home - I don't grind that often - on a whim I picked up a piece junk drill master model 60625 with an $11 coupon @ harbor freight.. I used it grind off 1/2" bolts on a rusted boat trailer at first, it just kept going..so far that piece of junk hasn't let me down. @ only 4.3 amps I thought it would just be gutless..but its not really not that bad and I 'm trying to kill it so I can justified a milwakee at home now..

hope this helps. good luck.

PUsh

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As a mechanic I at one time worked for a large manufactory. They were so large that they had their own tool repair shop.. When they bought any electrical tools they would only buy Milwaukee tools because they were rebuild able. So I do agree with you on Milwaukee being top quality. But I am at a older age now and facing the fact how many more years will I be using this grinder. I did order a new angle grinder from the Tool Ranch which will be delivered to me this coming Friday. As a tool dealer Tool Ranch is tops because they will repair or sell you parts for anything you buy from them. When you buy something in their store they know tools and will help you out on your needs. On top of that seeing they didn't have the model I wanted so they will deliver it to my shop for free. I bought a De Walt. Just like buying a new mower from a high quality dealer over a big box store good service with the sale and after. :thumbsup:

PUSH

Threads
Dewalt is a great choice as well. their products continue to improve IMHO
I have Dewalt DW745 portable table saw that is just the best. Most diverse, powerful, lightweight, easy to use compact saw I have ever used.
it was supposed to just fill in for my Grizzly 3hp Cabinet saw when it died - that was 4 years ago and I've had no need to replace the grizzly.

which Dewalt did you go with? model #