Repairs JD x700 starts but dies when brake is released have replaced seat safty switch

JSM71

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / JD x700 starts but dies when brake is released have replaced seat safty switch
My John Deere x700 starts but when the brake is released the engine dies. I have replaced the seat safety switch but that didn't fix the problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / JD x700 starts but dies when brake is released have replaced seat safty switch
The only reason why the engine dies when the brake is released is because the safety circuits thinks you are not there.
From memory there are 2 relays connected to the seat switch, one of them is not working.
I don't have a service manual for your model as I don;t have a customer with one yet & I can't justify $ 100 mauals for mowers I might not be repairing no matter how good they are.
JD mostly wire up theie mowers the same way so you should find removing the dud relay will stop the engine cutting out however do not mow like this as it is dangerious.

Mikel1

Threads
May have a problem with the dash cluster. You can Google x-series instrument cluster or dash cluster for testing.

toddhandy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I am new to this forum for the reason of this post. I have an X720 that is doing the same thing. Any ideas?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

The brake & the seat switch are connected together in a circuit that shuts down the engine if you are not there
The brake is also connected to the motion controls and cuts off the engine if you try to move with the brake on
And the seat switch is connected to the PTO switch so it shuts down if the blades are spinning and you are not in the seat.
The brake, motion control and pto switch usually are all connected to the starting solenoid so you can not start unless the levers are off the PTO is off and the brake is on.
Usually this is a daisy chain so that part of the switch will go 12V when in starting mode, but if you accidentially hook up the coils to that 12V feed you will fry both of them.
In the old days it was easy as each set of circumstances had their own seperate circuits and all the switches were all either open or closed.
Then blithering idiots decided to unplug seat switches then chop their hands / feet off.
The creationists who all seem to end up in senior beauricratic positions seriously belive we are creations of the almighty so no one is stupid thus they made laws to force factories make mowers idiot proof.
Hence now all these switches are now interlocked between each other so it makes diagnosis harder.

Now to make things even more difficult most of these circuits are ground circuits so they are buggers to trace as everything is grounded in one mannar or another. So if one of these wires is pinched and making ground when it shouldn't you can't find it. And then we have switches which activate a relay to activate a switch to activate a relay, JD specalises in this. And to make the wiring further tamper proof JD change the colour at almost every switch

So to cut to the nub, you are goind to have to trace the wires from the coil kill back to the parking brake and the seat switch and find out which switch is faulty. which wire is broken or grounding when it shouldn't be or which relay is faulty.
And then we have the problem of all of this being exposed to the elements so corrosion rears it ugly head.

As previously stated you really need the JD manual which is not cheap but very comprehensive and written so the average 12 year old can follow the instructions, worth double what JD charge for it.
If you are going to keep the mower, make the investment, if it saves you from replacing a coil that was not broken then it has paid for itself.
We do not seem to have many JD techs on the forum so that is the best I can do for you. So at least you have an idea of how it is set up.