5 hp B&S carb overhaul and adjustment

ducks13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I presume there is already a post somewhere that would tell me about the carb on a 5HP "Fun Power" B&S engine? It is on a go-kart and it is probably 20 years old. Is there any adjustments on the carb other than I presume the idle mixture? I have to give it a shot of carb cleaner to get it started cold even with the choke on full. Then it always wants to die when it comes back to idle. Now it is also dying at full throttle. It seems like it just runs too lean at idle and at full throttle. I replaced the diaphragm recently, it had been bad for a while so it wasn't running recently. Obviously cleaning the carb will probably help the idle, I cleaned it several years ago with only modest improvement, it still had to have choke cleaner to cold start and it still wanted to die coming back to idle. Even with the engine warm it was hard to start without some choke. I am a pretty experienced mechanic on large engines but am not very familiar with the carb on this engine, where should I look?

Thanks,
John

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
First things first. Clean the carb well. Watch one or both. They are very informative on how to clean the little carbs.
Down and dirty: youtube.com/watch?v=VBL-BUj0c6E
More technical: youtube.com/watch?v=nAk_WDt3AD8

ducks13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Blaz,

I am pretty good with a carb with a float like the two video's you linked. This engine has one of those floatless carbs that just draws fuel from the fuel tank without a float. I'll do some more looking on youtube. If anyone knows of the good video on a carb like this please let me know.

Thanks,
John

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Model number off the engine would help me see what you are working on.

Mikel1

Threads
Go to outdoorpowerinfo.com
Click on repairs index then scroll down to your carb.

ducks13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Blaz

model number= 136212

I haven't taken it apart yet but your suggestion to look at youtube I found a video that gave me a good idea how it operates. I am think that the tube that goes down in the tank probably has a hole in it or is restricted perhaps, I plan on replacing it, I bet it is causing the dying at full throttle and perhaps the hard start when cold. The dying coming back to idle is perhaps a bigger problem, I don't recall the main jet being adjustable. Any suggestions?

John

ducks13

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mike,

Thanks for the link, found the carb. I may go ahead and get a new diaphragm as well as the pickup tube. Everything else looks like it should just need to be cleaned, I'll be checking all the passageways I can get to without taking out the welch plugs that were mentioned in the link.

FYI this is the youtube video I watched that gave a good rundown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TicyV3RE2Fo

Mikel1

Threads
Yeah Taryl has some interesting videos.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Way back when I was in industry & doing some casual teaching that sort of stuff was considered "state of the art"
Load up the lesson with as much stupidity to aid students remembering and taking it in.
Oddly enough it seemed to work fairly well.
But yes, the boys do have a somewhat individual sense of humour.