ryobi carb half choke

roblecaesar1

Forum Newbie
Threads
hello , I have a Ryobi 26cc 2 stroke fresh gas cleaned carb and everything else only runs on half choke . when I take it off choke gas still goes through fuel line but shuts off also after it is warmed up the weed eater does not turn back on can you help love gardening and weed eating edges of weeds thank you any info is most helpful.

Mikel1

Threads
Still have a fuel delivery problem. On the other problem have you tried changing spark plug? Personally I wouldn't spend much money on a Ryobi.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are a lot of things that can make it run lean.
I always shudder when some one says they have cleaned the carb on a hand held.
I do this professionally and I have problems with them some times having to do the job 3 or 4 times till I get a satisfactory result.
However there is a heiracy of tests to do before you rip into the carb.

Even then you can still get some erronious results.

So we start by spraying some starter fluid down the carb and see if it starts while also watching the inline spark tester.
If it does not start and there is no little flashes then the problem is electric so you are 1/2 way home.
If it does start then you try to keep it running with very short burst of starter fluid.
If it passes this test then you rig up a seperate fuel line and try again.
Runs OK then problem in the fuel tank, fuel filter, fuel lines or fuel pump.
Don't run then then you look at crankcase & cylinder pressure & vacuum.

It is next to impossible to diagnose small hand helds over the web, come to think of it , diagnosing them in the workshop aint that easy either.

Assuming that you properly cleaned cecked the carb was working properly then you can go wo ways.
Do a flow test by pulling the carb off and blowing some air through it, watching for a continious spray of fuel as the throttle is opened up wide.
or
Rig up a temporoay fuel supply high above the trimmer so it will gravity feed the carb

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
One item so basic on the Ryobi and Sears weedwacker I own. There is a high speed fuel metering jet (also a low speed one) that may be purposely designed "no owner adjustment." By that ...you can see the two jets side by side, but cannot adjust them in or out because the screw heads are either D shaped or otherwise inaccessible . If, somehow, the high speed jet has been mostly shut off the poor little engine must rely upon another enrichment device like the choke. Dealers are supposed to be the only one adjusting these jets. Use the search function in this forum to see the various solutions for the diy'er or see if a dealer can try an adjustment if Bert's suggestions don't fix it.

Mikel1

Threads
Brand new carb is cheap for these.