LEV120 Governor problem

billb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m back again with another question about a LEV120 motor. In addition to the carb question I posted earlier, I have a problem with the governor assembly in the motor.

The motor has no throttle control and will run at full speed unless I manually move the governor lever to slow down the motor. I took the flywheel off and removed the breather plug to look inside the case. The governor gear with the weights on it has several teeth sheared off and one of the weights has broken off.

I separated the motor case and it’s sitting on my bench. My question is how can I remove the governor shaft from the case? According to the exploded view I have, the shaft is pressed into the case. Prying on the assembly appears to be out of question. I’m afraid of breaking the case.

I would appreciate any suggestions to replace the assembly.

Thanks,
Bill

billb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I managed to remove the broken governor gear and shaft from the engine case without apparent damage to anything.

The more I studied the engine case it became apparent the way the casting was designed made it easy to drill a small hole from outside into the boss that held the shaft.

I drilled a 5/32” hole through the casting until it touched the bottom of the shaft. I took a 1/8” pin punch and centered everything on my arbor press. It pushed out very easy.

I think I will use red Loctite when installing the new assembly for little added protection. I will also put a dab of RTV on the outside of the case where the hole was drilled although I don’t think it is necessary.

Bill