Kohler SV730s with frozen crankshaft

Jameseric

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine is disassembled but the crankshaft is stuck in the top of the bell housing. Is there a way to free and reuse the crankshaft? I think the engine over heated due to a lack oil and the crankshaft is seized to the bell housing.

Thanks,

James

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Use a propane torch on bell housing using circular motion outside crankshaft bearing, wear gloves & safety glasses. Keep flame 6" from bell housing being patient & taking your time. It is important to keep torch moving to avoid overheating bell housing.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Use a propane torch on bell housing using circular motion outside crankshaft bearing, wear gloves & safety glasses. Keep flame 6" from bell housing being patient & taking your time. It is important to keep torch moving to avoid overheating bell housing.

I am confused here, SV730 is a Kohler courage and I don't believe they have a crankshaft bearing? The crankshaft just uses the crankcase and uses the aluminum as a bearing. I would think its new engine time. The courage isn't much of a rebuild able engine.

Jameseric

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to both of you for your comments. I am really trying to save the engine. The aluminum housing is the bearing. I know the courage is not one Kohlers better engines. If it can be saved, I want save it. If not, I will replace it with a Kohler Command twin-v I have available. I prefer to keep the factory engine in the machine.

Thanks,

James

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are going to replace the cover plate, a few well placed whacks with a hammer & chisel will split the plate.
If the crak has siezed the the top plat will be trash unless you have access to the equipment to machine out the top hole and fit a bush
Assuming you have the crank out of the engine tip it upside down , degrease then apply some hydrochloric acid ( swiming pool acid ) diluted to about 50%.
It should also take the alloy off the crank as well.
All the usual precautions , acid burns, blinds and the fumes that come off are toxic in high concentrations.
wash and neutralise the crank with some alkali ( also from a pool shop )

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks to both of you for your comments. I am really trying to save the engine. The aluminum housing is the bearing. I know the courage is not one Kohlers better engines. If it can be saved, I want save it. If not, I will replace it with a Kohler Command twin-v I have available. I prefer to keep the factory engine in the machine.

Thanks,

James

With out seeing it I really don't know the damage. Just maybe you can buy a new case and crankshaft. But also the money to fix it right will buy you a new engine unless you can buy used parts. I know you want to save the old engine. The only other thing is maybe a machine shop could make a bushing for the case and clean the crankshaft, machine shop work is big money also. Or could look for a used engine. I know this isn't the answer you want so maybe someone else has a better one.

Jameseric

Forum Newbie
Threads
Once again thanks to all. I will try to find used parts at a repair shop but in the end it looks like I may sell the engine parts and install the Command engine and cut my losses.

James

Jameseric

Forum Newbie
Threads
Today, I got the crankshaft out and here are the pictures. I used PB Blaster and let it sit for a few days.

I think I am looking a aluminum transfer to the steel shaft. Can it be saved or is it toast?

Thanks,

James

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the aluminium .
You can use a scothbrite pad
I use hydrochloric acid, swabbed on till it stops reacting then washed with water followed by chlorie then more water.
Once it is clean run your fingernail down the surface checking for gouges.
That crank looks resonably good
Final check is to measure it front back and left right checking fr roundness.

RISKY

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there i live in Australia and have the same engine with the same problem ! just wondering if you got this fixed ? and what you think was the course ? ran out of oil or no oil to the top etc cheers mate