Cub Cadet-Engine Racing

kamera26

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello!
Just had a troubleshooting question for a cub cadet 760 33 inch walk behind. Non-electric start.

I noticed when mowing yesterday that the engine started racing out of nowhere. Even when I cut back the throttle the engine remained the same intensity.
What could this be? Linkage issue? The engine would calm down when I engaged the blade but when I let go of the blade the engine revved up. I just continued cutting the grass for another 5 minutes or so because I was afraid of hurting the engine. No odd smell or smoke either. Just had it serviced a few weeks ago (changed oil, new spark plug, etc.).

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The govenor is not working.
The throttle control opens the carb and the govenor closes it down

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks! So I either need a new spring (governor) or it needs re-attached?

Something like that.
The govenor arm is connected the the carb by a solid rod and the throttle pulls a spring attached to the Govenor arm.
The Govenor arm is usually clamped to a shaft that pokes out through the side of the engine.
That clamp can come loose or the govenor itself can break.

If you want anything more specific we will need to know exactly which engine is on your mower.

kamera26

Forum Newbie
Threads
Something like that.
The govenor arm is connected the the carb by a solid rod and the throttle pulls a spring attached to the Govenor arm.
The Govenor arm is usually clamped to a shaft that pokes out through the side of the engine.
That clamp can come loose or the govenor itself can break.

If you want anything more specific we will need to know exactly which engine is on your mower.

Thanks! I'll check on a few things when I get home and verify the engine. Hoping I just need some WD-40 due to things being stuck and it just needs loosened.