asiloj41

Threads
image.jpegCraftsman Lawn tractor 917.270532 birth date 3/22/2000
14.5 OHV IC Gold
Motor sears no. 287707-1255-E3
Type 1255-E3
Code 0003067D or 6ZD
Family YBSXS.5012VP 274532

Ok my brother said last summer needed a new starter so while winter set in started working on the lawn tractor, got new starter not enought power to turn it over, needed new battery got a high cranking amp from Auto Zone, 429. I think, so then he said needed starter selnoid got that started just fine a couple weeks later went to start it, not enough power to turn it over went thru all the wires changed the starter gear checked the selnoid! So took a break and started at the battery bad new battery! Thought problem solved, not! New starter broke 13 tooth starter gear, had a back up plastic gear put that on, started great ran wonderful till yesterday! Chewed the plastic gear up! I am adding a photo of the block where the starter goes there is a step is the best way to decribe it! On the side where the red and black wire is! Where you bolt the starter to then look at the right side you will see it is machined down! The old starter ran for over three years, now we are chewing up and breaking starter gears! Any help will be appricated! All the ring gear teeh fine! This was not a problem till we changed starter out!

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure you are using the plastic starter gear with the plastic or aluminum ring gear, and the steel starter pinion with the steel ring gear. After that try adjusting the valve clearances, since that can cause engine kickback and possibly damage the starter and/or gear.

If you have the plastic ring gear on the flywheel make sure it isn't damaged

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nothing wrong with the side of the engine.
The starer only touches the motor where the bolts go through and that is the only spot that needs machining to get the right offset for the starter gear.
Machining costs money, joe public does not want to pay for neat, they want cheap.

Did you buy a real B &S Starter or a cheap Chineese toilet paper copy ?

Tinkerer200

Threads
"Did you buy a real B &S Starter or a cheap Chineese toilet paper copy ?"

Ditto that, I quit using aftermarket starter gears on B&S engines over 8 hp years ago for that reason.

Amazing how much money is spent uselessly rather than checking for the real problem.

Walt Conner