Cranks forever before starting

BBill

Threads
I have a Courage 20 in a 42 in ZTR Cadet. Had trouble starting so I changed the Spark Plug-Air Filter- Oil.
Also changed gas filter It cranks forever before it starts....I'm afraid I'll burn the starter out. I did open the gas tank cap
...still takes to long. Any ideas?? It also backfires if I don't let it idle down for several minutes. Bill

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing to check, make sure the choke is closing all the way. Second thing to check, valve clearances.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is this a sudden occurance or has it been getting progressively worse ?
What happen the last time you shut it down ?
There is a little solenoid on the bottom of the carburettor, it should go on & off as you turn the ignition on & off.
Some tmes you can hear it click but I like to hold it or even remove it just to be sure.
This controls the fuel to the carburettor so when you remove it fuel will leak out and if you crank while it is not in there fuel will gush out.

BBill

Threads
Is this a sudden occurance or has it been getting progressively worse ?
What happen the last time you shut it down ?
There is a little solenoid on the bottom of the carburettor, it should go on & off as you turn the ignition on & off.
Some tmes you can hear it click but I like to hold it or even remove it just to be sure.
This controls the fuel to the carburettor so when you remove it fuel will leak out and if you crank while it is not in there fuel will gush out.

It started backfiring...one big BANG after I shut it off, last year. I had to buy a new muffler because it split.
This really hard to start is recent!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the cover off the top of the engine and then the nut / bolt that holds the flywheel on.
The flywheel is held in position by a square section key 1/2 in both pieces so this hole should be DEAD SQUARE if not pull the flywheel & replace the key.

BBill

Threads
I think it's the solenoid...if I bang it with a small wrench-it'll start right up. Trying to find part no,
there's a guy who sells them cheap-take offs-he converts to propane. All he can tell me is his part no-
229377. I'm not sure if it will fit a Courage 20 with Walbro carb.

coinman66

Threads
Partially sheared flywheel key? Did you hit anything lately or last season mowing?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
One of the things that will cause hard starting is a fuel pump not holding pressure. The fuel pump has small valves in it and sometimes they will stick open and you will lose fuel pressure to the carburetor causing hard starting.