Spindle question.

solefate

Threads
I just bought two new spindles for my zero turn cub cadet. My old ones are so far gone I'm not sure how the new ones are supposed to be. Is this vertical play normal?View My Video

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need about .005" to .010 " for the bearings to be able to turn and not bind when hot.
That amount of free play is way way too much
Did you buy them as a complete unit ?
And which model cub is it , numbers from under the seat please

solefate

Threads
You need about .005" to .010 " for the bearings to be able to turn and not bind when hot.
That amount of free play is way way too much
Did you buy them as a complete unit ?
And which model cub is it , numbers from under the seat please

RZT42 (17AE2ACG010) - Cub Cadet RZT 42" Zero-Turn Mower, Kohler (2010)

I bought Spindle and Pulley.

One thing I noticed on the new ones is that the threads on either side of the spindle do not go all the way, and it doesn't appear to be in error. However, threads on my old spindles went as far as possible.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most spindles do not come with pre threaded holes. You use self tapping bolts.
I use a tap to cut the threads.

solefate

Threads
Most spindles do not come with pre threaded holes. You use self tapping bolts.
I use a tap to cut the threads.

Not the holes, the ends of the shaft where the pulley and blade sit.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is what your spindle assembly should look like
partstree.com/parts/cub-cadet/mowers-zero-turn-lawn-mower/rzt42-17ae2acg010-cub-cadet-rzt-42-zero-turn-mower-kohler-2010/mower-deck/

It appeas there are 3 spacers .
Two between the bearings and one on top of the upper bearing under the pulley.
The two between the bearings should be slightly shorter than the distance between the shoulders the bearings sit home against.
The one on top should then push the top of the pulley above the end of the thread so the top nut can pull the whole shooting match tight.
And then there is the spindle nut itself, there are quite a few variations on it each with different thread lengths and different shoulders.

So if you still have the old pulleys and top spacers, check them and the spindles themselves against the new ones
The original spindle nut has a thick shoulder which takes the place of the washer and carefully controls the amount of cush that can be applied to the bearing center races.
Some after market spindles are supplied with plain nuts and washers so they can fit a lot of different decks

solefate

Threads
This is what your spindle assembly should look like
partstree.com/parts/cub-cadet/mowers-zero-turn-lawn-mower/rzt42-17ae2acg010-cub-cadet-rzt-42-zero-turn-mower-kohler-2010/mower-deck/

It appeas there are 3 spacers .
Two between the bearings and one on top of the upper bearing under the pulley.
The two between the bearings should be slightly shorter than the distance between the shoulders the bearings sit home against.
The one on top should then push the top of the pulley above the end of the thread so the top nut can pull the whole shooting match tight.
And then there is the spindle nut itself, there are quite a few variations on it each with different thread lengths and different shoulders.

So if you still have the old pulleys and top spacers, check them and the spindles themselves against the new ones
The original spindle nut has a thick shoulder which takes the place of the washer and carefully controls the amount of cush that can be applied to the bearing center races.
Some after market spindles are supplied with plain nuts and washers so they can fit a lot of different decks

Yeah that is the site I got the part number from. I didn't realize the one I bought ended up a universal that just fits the part number =/. To me it appears that the main shaft of the spindle on the new ones is slightly longer, and maybe the top spacer is a hair smaller. Will adding a few lock washers make up the difference I need, or should I order more OEM spacers and whatnot?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly measure how much the spacer needs to be ,
Also measure the top spacer and compare it to the size listed on Parts Tree.
Then ring Jacks and tell them the spindle is too long or the thread is too short.
They most likely do not know and usually will sort it out for you.
They are one of the better companies to deal with I spend about $ 10,000 there each year.
At that price differential the part you bought will be a pattern part that they have bought in from a supplier who has listed it as suitable for all the listed decks.
If you still have the old spindles make up some new top spacers out of the old spindle spacers.
Much bettter than packing it out with washers.
If you end up deciding to use washers above the pulley cut them out of the flat bit of the old blades,
I big flat washer is a lot better the 5 thin ones and never ever use pmore than 1 split washer.