SCAG Patriot

kingb0305

Threads
Does anyone have experience with the SCAG Patriot (formally the Freedom Z Pro)?
- Kawasaki FX Series engine
- ZT-3100 hydros
- 52" deck
- Sealed ball bearing spindles
- 22" drive tires, 13x5 caster tires
- Folding ROPS

I'm a homeowner with about 2.5 acres, various terrain, some debris. Looking for something that will last and remain fairly easy to maintain. It's a little more expensive than what I wanted to spend for a home use unit, but I'm finding you really do get what you pay for.... Also hoping that resale will be easier/better.

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just looked at the specs on the Patriot and Scag has put a lot of features on this machine that were only found on higher end machines.
1st, the Kawasaki FX engine has the two stage air filtration system which is a big plus on Zero turn machines as they are inherently dusty.
ZT 3100 hydrostatic drives whereas the 2800 was the norm.
6.5 gallon fuel capacity with a quantity gauge.
Larger rear tires.
Foldable ROPS
Foot brake
Many machines have sealed spindle bearings which is becoming more common as time passes.
There are many potential ZTR customers that don't need a high end machine, but would like the option of a high end engine. This machine fits this situation.
I would recommend this machine, I don't know what the pricing is on the Patriot.
Just a few thoughts from Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone have experience with the SCAG Patriot (formally the Freedom Z Pro)?
- Kawasaki FX Series engine
- ZT-3100 hydros
- 52" deck
- Sealed ball bearing spindles
- 22" drive tires, 13x5 caster tires
- Folding ROPS

I'm a homeowner with about 2.5 acres, various terrain, some debris. Looking for something that will last and remain fairly easy to maintain. It's a little more expensive than what I wanted to spend for a home use unit, but I'm finding you really do get what you pay for.... Also hoping that resale will be easier/better.

If you can afford the mower it should last you 20 years or more. Scag makes a great product, and that is a low end commercial mower. Great choice for your application. The Freedom z would probably be plenty of mower for your lawn as well though.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I also agree this is a great mower. Well worth the asking price. And as with any scag they resell easy.

kingb0305

Threads
Is it fair to compare the SCAG Patriot (dealer selling for $6,500) to the Toro Titan MX ($5,700 w/Kohler Confidant), Ferris is700 ($6,500 w/kawasaki FS), Husqvarna MZT ($6k w/kawasaki FS)? The Kawasaki FX on Patriot is obviously better than options available on those mentioned, but most all other specs are about the same (tires, hydros, etc (MZT has better hydros and bigger tires)). Is there something else that makes the SCAG Patriot stand out in this low end commercial market? I know in the high end commercial world, SCAG is certainly one of the best. I don't know if that translates to one of the best in this line. Sorry, this may have crossed over to needing to be in the "Mower Buying and Pricing" forum, but I really wanted to hear from the SCAG group about the brand and their opinion of the entry level commercial units.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it fair to compare the SCAG Patriot (dealer selling for $6,500) to the Toro Titan MX ($5,700 w/Kohler Confidant), Ferris is700 ($6,500 w/kawasaki FS), Husqvarna MZT ($6k w/kawasaki FS)? The Kawasaki FX on Patriot is obviously better than options available on those mentioned, but most all other specs are about the same (tires, hydros, etc (MZT has better hydros and bigger tires)). Is there something else that makes the SCAG Patriot stand out in this low end commercial market? I know in the high end commercial world, SCAG is certainly one of the best. I don't know if that translates to one of the best in this line. Sorry, this may have crossed over to needing to be in the "Mower Buying and Pricing" forum, but I really wanted to hear from the SCAG group about the brand and their opinion of the entry level commercial units.

Unlike some on here I feel the only bad part of the scag is the Kawasaki engine.
I run mostly toro. I do have a scag and feel their decks are a lot better than the Toro's.
The quality of the cut is better then the Toro's. So why do I use mostly toro? They are better on hills. And parts are cheaper.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads

All of the brands you mentioned make excellent mowers. All have heavy duty fabricated decks. The Ferris and the MZT are comparable in that they offer the same drive train (FS series engine and heavier zt3400 hydros). Ther are many brands out there that offer the same drive train options. Hustler, Gravely, Bobcat, Bushhog, Kubota, Country Clipper, etc. As for price, are brands that offer the same drive train as the Scag Patriot at around $1000 to $1500 less. The Snapper Pro s50xt is an example. FX600v engine, zt3100 hydros, 48" Icd deck at $5k to $5500. All are good mowers. Everybody has their brand preference, but it's only opinion based. I am a fan of all of them, it's just that some of them are a bit over priced. Scag does have a great cutting deck. Does very well, even in wet grass.

kingb0305

Threads
My concern with the SCAG Patriot is, if you look in their equipment brochure, everything that sets SCAG apart (Velocity deck, turbo baffle, rear mounted anti-scalp rollers, steel alloy spindle, etc) is excluded from the Patriot, Freedom Z, and Liberty Z lines. I get that these mowers are lower end, but does that make them less "SCAG" and you really do end up paying the price for the name?

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
My concern with the SCAG Patriot is, if you look in their equipment brochure, everything that sets SCAG apart (Velocity deck, turbo baffle, rear mounted anti-scalp rollers, steel alloy spindle, etc) is excluded from the Patriot, Freedom Z, and Liberty Z lines. I get that these mowers are lower end, but does that make them less "SCAG" and you really do end up paying the price for the name?

Rear anti scalp wheels really mainly only benefit when mowing in reverse. The velocity deck does leave a great cut, but the decks on the patriot and liberty mowers are fine too. As for price... The price goes up on any brand when you are looking at models with commercial drive trains. Any brand you price that offers the engine hydro combo you mentioned is going to cost more than $5k. The mowers you mentioned are all well made machines

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The rear rollers are not anti scalp wheels.