Setting up a new YTH 24V48 (Fast tractor)

RJL1

Threads
Just thought I'd throw this here in case anyone else needs it.

I had the YTH24V48 dropped off the other day by my local dealer. I chose to throw them the money as opposed to the big box stores in the area. Anyway it was a very simple process. First off you need to download and print out the owner's manual from Husqvarna.com. After reading that and the supplement that comes with the machine you need to purge the transmission. Easy. 5 minutes lost from your day. Next, insure all the grease zerks are greased. All (about 8 or so) are clearly diagrammed in the owners manual. Mine were greased, if they were not that may have added an additional 5 minutes or so. VERY easy. Next check your tire pressures listed on the tires. Mine were a few pounds over whats recommended so I let some air out. Again easy. Next, level the deck. Again very easy. Make sure the side to side is level first, as described. Luckily mine was. If not, very simple leveling process, there are two adjustments. One on each side. Easy to get to. The next step was to level the deck front to back. The manual calls for the front to be 1/8 to 1/2 of an inch LOWER than the back. Mine was level. Again, very easy fix. I just followed what the manual advised and lowered the front a bit. There is one adjustment at the front of the deck. The hardest part was measuring the blades. Once you measure the side to side, the front to back is only one measurement. All of this took a grand total of about 15 minutes. I'm not a lawnmower mechanic, I can BARELY read and follow directions.

This site has helped me out so much I hope this helps someone.

Bob

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The cheap & nasty way to measure blade height is to wrap a small length of 2x2 or similar with a square end ( hard bit ) in styrofoam, strips from old coffee cups work well so you get 4 measurements.
The blades will leave an indentation in the styrofoam when presse lightly against it.

OTOH it very dissapointing that the mower arrived from a dealer in that state.
One of the whole reasons for going through a dealer is the mower shaould arrive all preped ready to mow.
Double check the engine oil level before you start.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also be methodical about cleaning the underside of the mower.
The clutch / brake pedal reasts against an area where debris builds up and eventually it will stop the belt tensioning properly.
I use a 4' long dusting gun so I can get under there without eating grass for the next two weeks

RJL1

Threads
Thanks Bert. Thats an ingenious method of measuring the blade height. I turned into a yoga master trying to get a tape measure under the left side. I'll keep the underside as clean as possible. I read these machines are prone to build up in that area. I'm wondering how thorough of a job the deck wash system is.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do not use the deck wash port. That does more harm then leaving the grass on the deck.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Blow the top of the deck and mower clean with compressed air or a garden blower.

I you use the wash out port run the blades flat out till it is clean.
You need good water pressure and high flow for it to work properly and it can take quite a while to thoroughly clean the underside.
Leave mower sitting on the grass with blades running flat out foe a coupe of minutes for the water to drain then drive it over a dry hard surface and turn the blades off after about 10 minutes.
This is important to ensure all the water is gone from under the deck .
As the mower cools down, any water on the spindles will ge sucked up into the bearings causing premature bearing failure.

RJL1

Threads
Great tips. Thanks fellas.