Repairs Craftsman 917.272021 No crank no start Kohler 16hp circa 2000

jmm2016

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman 917.272021 No crank no start Kohler 16hp circa 2000
Battery charged.
The voltage regulator was clicking but no start.
Would not jump when screwdriver across top voltage regulator connections.
Moved wires around no clicking at voltage regulator.
Does somebody have a test sequence for electrical?
Thanks in advance

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
First of all the voltage regulator has nothing to do with starting. That regulates the voltage to charge your battery. Unless you are confusing it with the starter solenoid?

The very first thing is your battery fully charged, you did say you charged it. Then make sure all the connection are tight and clean, all battery cable end and grounds. From there you want to check your starter solenoid then safety switches. If you don't already own one buy yourself a multimeter to make all these test. You can buy cheap ones for about 10 dollars.

RJL1

Threads
Did you check and make sure the wires are still connected under the seat? This happened to me last weekend when I sold my old Craftsman. Turned the key, nothing. Charged the battery, nothing. Checked all wiring and found the wires that attatch to the seat when you lift it up fell off as the bolt and nut fell out.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Did you check and make sure the wires are still connected under the seat? This happened to me last weekend when I sold my old Craftsman. Turned the key, nothing. Charged the battery, nothing. Checked all wiring and found the wires that attatch to the seat when you lift it up fell off as the bolt and nut fell out.

Yes a very good thing to check and if its OK check other safety switches.

jmm2016

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes a very good thing to check and if its OK check other safety switches.

How do I check the Safety switch that is located on top of the chassis and the "switch portion is underneath the chassis. I think this is a safety switch that requires the brake to engaged before starting- This switch is about 2 years old.
More importantly How do I remove and replace?

jmm2016

Forum Newbie
Threads
First of all the voltage regulator has nothing to do with starting. That regulates the voltage to charge your battery. Unless you are confusing it with the starter solenoid?

The very first thing is your battery fully charged, you did say you charged it. Then make sure all the connection are tight and clean, all battery cable end and grounds. From there you want to check your starter solenoid then safety switches. If you don't already own one buy yourself a multimeter to make all these test. You can buy cheap ones for about 10 dollars.

I do have a digital multi-meter. Yes- what I was referring to is the starter solenoid. Now I have no clicking or anything- I used a small hammer and tapped it. I crossed the top connectors and not start? Used to start with key on that way.
I am looking for a sequence for the testing

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the spark plug and try to rotate the engine by hand.
If fuel / oil / water comes out then try cranking the engine to remove it turn off the fuel and move the spark plug well out of the way but try to maintian an earth so it can spark.

Assuming nothing i the cylinder stopping it from turning run some heavy jumpers from the battery directly to the starter motor + and a good earth near the starter motor - ( oil drain plug is good).
If the starter does not turn either the battery or starter is kaput.
If it turns then move the + wire to the starter connection on the solenoid.
If the motor turns then wire is good if it dosent then the wire is kaput
Now remove the earth jumper. No go = bad earth get out the wire brush
Move the + jumper to the battery side of the solenoid then run a light jumper from it to the + trigger wire.
No spin then put a - jumper to the solenoid = terminal or body if it does not have a - terminal.
No go solenoid is tost, only starts with - jumper to body then bad earth, wire brush again, only starts with jumper to - solenoid terminal = safety switch problem.
Remove negative jumpers and try starting with key after replacing the fuse. no go = duff ignition switch or safety switch problem.

This can all be done without a wiring diagram in a few minutes providing you have a fully charged battery.

From here on you will need a circuit diagram

jmm2016

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you I will perform those series of tests. Also I do have the electrical schematic for this model. (the one in the Manual)

Remove the spark plug and try to rotate the engine by hand.
If fuel / oil / water comes out then try cranking the engine to remove it turn off the fuel and move the spark plug well out of the way but try to maintian an earth so it can spark.

Assuming nothing i the cylinder stopping it from turning run some heavy jumpers from the battery directly to the starter motor + and a good earth near the starter motor - ( oil drain plug is good).
If the starter does not turn either the battery or starter is kaput.
If it turns then move the + wire to the starter connection on the solenoid.
If the motor turns then wire is good if it dosent then the wire is kaput
Now remove the earth jumper. No go = bad earth get out the wire brush
Move the + jumper to the battery side of the solenoid then run a light jumper from it to the + trigger wire.
No spin then put a - jumper to the solenoid = terminal or body if it does not have a - terminal.
No go solenoid is tost, only starts with - jumper to body then bad earth, wire brush again, only starts with jumper to - solenoid terminal = safety switch problem.
Remove negative jumpers and try starting with key after replacing the fuse. no go = duff ignition switch or safety switch problem.

This can all be done without a wiring diagram in a few minutes providing you have a fully charged battery.

From here on you will need a circuit diagram

jmm2016

Forum Newbie
Threads
Battery charged.
The voltage regulator was clicking but no start.
Would not jump when screwdriver across top voltage regulator connections.
Moved wires around no clicking at voltage regulator.
Does somebody have a test sequence for electrical?
Thanks in advance

Update: ok- replaced starter solenoid.cleaned battery cables-after installation no start- no crank- looked around at wires and BINGO found a loose wire!! I had replaced the fuse holder because the original had melted. - used crimp connectors- The crimp connector came apart. -no current flow! Recrimped-and viola Fired right up!!!!!
Thanks for everyone's input. Jmm

RJL1

Threads
It's always the simple stuff that mucks me all up too!