Hayter Harrier 41 Hunting problem

dazzyst

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All,

My Harrier 41 which has a B&S motor is hunting. I believe that's the term when it revs up & down by itself. I did clean the carb last year with the B&S carb kit but that didn't solve the issue. Is there an adjustment screw somewhere I can turn to see if its the mixture which is too lean?

Cheers
Daz

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That will depend upon which B &S engine the mower has so we need the engine model type & code numbers to take you any furthr.

dazzyst

Forum Newbie
Threads
It's a model 12F802-1325-01. Hope that helps!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are 3 different types of carburettor that could have been fitted to this engine but none of them have any adjustment to prevent hunting.

What is happening is the govenor is allowing the engine speed to increase to a level where there is not enogh fuel so it slows down.
The govenor then opens up the throttle to maintain speed and the engine accelerates then gets to a point where there is not enough fuel so it slows down again.

There are 2 ways for the engine not to get enough fuel.
1) blockages in the carb preventing the full flow of fuel
2) air entering the cylinder after the carburettor

So pull the cover off the engine, remove the carburettor and clean it properly, if you are not sure exactly how to do it then ask.
An overhaul kit will not hurt nor break the bank.
Also check that long manifold tube they come loose and I find lot of them are actually cracked thus leaking air.
Replace the gasket and be careful when you tighten the two very sall bolts as the threads are easily stripped which is why I like to fit a new gasket.
The seal between this tube and the carb is done via an O ring andis easily damaged so replace it as well.

dazzyst

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply.

Any tips on cleaning the carb really appreciated and a list of any other bits I should get as well as the overhaul kit. May as well do a proper job!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Dirty carb
Down and dirty: youtube.com/watch?v=VBL-BUj0c6E
More technical: youtube.com/watch?v=nAk_WDt3AD8

dazzyst

Forum Newbie
Threads
There are 3 different types of carburettor that could have been fitted to this engine but none of them have any adjustment to prevent hunting.

What is happening is the govenor is allowing the engine speed to increase to a level where there is not enogh fuel so it slows down.
The govenor then opens up the throttle to maintain speed and the engine accelerates then gets to a point where there is not enough fuel so it slows down again.

There are 2 ways for the engine not to get enough fuel.
1) blockages in the carb preventing the full flow of fuel
2) air entering the cylinder after the carburettor

So pull the cover off the engine, remove the carburettor and clean it properly, if you are not sure exactly how to do it then ask.
An overhaul kit will not hurt nor break the bank.
Also check that long manifold tube they come loose and I find lot of them are actually cracked thus leaking air.
Replace the gasket and be careful when you tighten the two very sall bolts as the threads are easily stripped which is why I like to fit a new gasket.
The seal between this tube and the carb is done via an O ring andis easily damaged so replace it as well.

Thanks very much for such a detailed reply. Are you referring to the breather tube between the air filter case and the carb? As for cleaning when I pulled the carb off last year she looked almost new inside. No dirt visible at all. Should I just blow through the main jet with some compressed air or is there something else I should use?

Also, I recall (and I might be wrong!) that there was a spring not connected to something.