Turf Tiger won't stay running

GearHd6

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, I'm new here with a new to me Turf Tiger (STT61) that I can't seem to keep running. It's got a Kohler engine. It seems like I can only keep it running if I put a hot jumper wire from the battery right to the fuel shutoff solenoid on the carb. If I just use the harness wire the engine will only run for a second and then shut off.

Another thing I noticed is that it sometimes doesn't seem to be charging the battery. Behind the control panel I notice there is a yellow wire with a female flat connector that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Then even if I keep it running with the jumper wire, as soon as I pull in the steering control levers the engine will die even with me sitting on the seat.

I'm new to all this zero turn stuff so bear with me. Thanks.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Break has to be on to start and off to move the steering handles.
Steering handles have to be in neutral lock to start.
PTO has to be off to start.
Someone has to be in seat to start.
Check all of those and let us know. Do not jump the fuel shutoff valve. Report findings.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK, you have multiple electrical problems and we need to know how competant you are with electrickery and what sort of tools you have available.

The solenoid problem will be either a faulty ignition switch, broken wire bad earth or all 3 in various combinations.

The engine cutting out will be a problem betwen the seat switch , the motion control switches ( one each side ) and the parking brake switch.
Again this will be one, all or any two of them.

Not charging will be a problem with the wire running from the alternator back to the battery or the ignition switch or the earth or the battery terminals or any combination of them.

Start by going to scag web site go to the manuals section and download the wiring diagram for your mower.
Have a quick look at the switches to verify it matches what you see in front of you then post the diagram on here so we are all singing from the same song book,

There is no standard wiring lay out or colour coding so we need this information in order to work out where the errant yellow wire escaped from.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can download the manual for your machine on the Scag website. You will need the machine model and serial numbers to get the correct manual.
Not knowing your electrical skill level, but you can trace the cranking and engine running circuits.
There is an engine cranking relay located close to the keyswitch. Look for the wires with white/green color.
Your machine has an electronic control module that controls and activates specific circuits when all parameters are met.
The fuse in the yellow wire is for the charging system output which passes thru the keyswitch when in the on position.
The fuse in the red wire is the power to the entire machine thru the keyswitch.
As there are many versions of the Turf Tiger and with different engines, the wiring diagrams vary.
Some Kohler engines have an electronic module on the engine that controls the spark timing to the engine, this module is problematic.
With your engine model, type and serial numbers, you can download manuals from the Kohler website.

GearHd6

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone for the responses. I was able to figure out why it was shutting off when I pulled in the steering controls. I wasn't aware of the sequence of having to release the park brake first.

I did download the manual and found the wiring diagrams. Even in the diagram it looks like that yellow wire goes nowhere. But it goes directly into the fuse on the machine so it had to connect to something. If I supply that wire with 12 volt ignition power it then actuates the fuel solenoid and the charging system works. I have no idea where it went unless someone changed the ignition switch with the wrong one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It will go to the ignition switch and has most likely fallen out of the switch block plug.
Pull the plug from the back of the plug and look for hole with no wire in it.
Then test the terminal it would plug into to ensure it has 12 V with the ignition switch in both the start & run positions

In some wiring systems this wire might also be connected to the PTO switch or even the hourmeter.
I don't know because I don't know which model Tiger you have so I don't know what circuit diargam to look at.

And we still need to look at the no charge problem.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
scag.com/OPManuals/STT/99STTIPL/99STTIPLcomplete.pdf
Manual with wiring diagram.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The yellow wire normally connects to the odd terminal on the rear of the keyswitch.
With this setup, the charging system is isolated from the battery when the keyswitch is in the off position.
This was necessary as older charging systems when left connected to the battery with the engine shut off would discharge the battery in 24-36 hours.
Small engine charging systems since the mid to late 80s have a regulator the prevents discharging the battery, however Scag has continued to use the isolation keyswitch on the charging system.
Why Scag doesn't show this on their wiring diagrams puzzles me. Your machine may very well have the wrong keyswitch.
There are many different keyswitches and the ones found in stores like Tractor Supply and similar usually don't work.
The keyswitch wiring setup is selected by the machine manufacturer to suit their electrical needs.