Need advice choosing new Lawn Tractor

sfmccormick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Let may say first that I am not very knowledgeable about lawn tractors. The only one I have ever owned is a 2006 TSC SuperHuskee SLT4200 (MTD?) 42" with an 18.5 hp B&S Intek engine. It has done the job over the years and I've only had to replace blades, belts, batteries and one set of spindles. It is not a comfortable machine, the steering is sloppy, the deck is hard to keep level, and the cut is not smooth when moving anything over slow. It's time for a new machine.

I (or my wife) mow about 2 acres of bumpy yard with some slope, several trees, parked farm equipment, a pond bank and a couple of drainage ditches. I don't think a Zero Turn would work for us. I have been doing some research on the internet and think I have narrowed it down to either a Husqvarna YT48XLS ($2800) or a Cub Cadet XT2 LX46 FAB ($2500). The Husq has a 26 hp Kohler 7000 series engine, while the Cub comes with either a 24 hp Kohler 7000 series or an 18 hp Kawasaki engine (same price). Both have fabricated decks, diff locks and comfortable seats (i have sat on the Cub but have yet to find the Husq, but it looks good). I think they have the same transmission.

I would appreciate any advice or opinion regarding either machine or perhaps about a better choice given my situation. I would also appreciate any advice on the engine choice for the Cub (6 hp difference sounds like a lot, but maybe not?). Thanks in advance for your time - Steve.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't know that particular Cub and I don't see many down here as there was a franchise ownership problem after Cub folded which has only reciently been resolved ( 2 bulls in one paddock).
The Husqvarna OTOH I see regularly and I am not impressed.
The spindle housings are quite frail comparred to other mowers , the decks do not handle rough ground particularly well and they are prone to a build up debris under the frame which jamb against the clutch / brake pedal stop preventing it from fully dissengaging unless you are methodical with the under mower cleaning.
On the residential blocks with smoothish hills they seem to do quite fine unless fitted with mulching blades.

With a block as you are describing I would strongly advise spending a little more and going for Garden Tractors ( next grade up from lawn tractors ) which are substantially more robust than Lawn Tractors.
Every year ride ons get cheaper & cheaper in both quality and price so neither of the mowers you are looking at will be as good or last as long as the one they are replacing.

The best combination of robustness and comfort I have ever come across are the Kabotas, in particular the ones with both a sprung seat and suspension on the rear axel.
They were very popular down here with landscapers .
I have 3 customers who bought second hand ones and use them on rough blocks without a stick of bother, The blades seem to last forever, the spindles are strong as a mallee bull and all the mounting points are designed properly and do not flog out much.
In the 4 years I have been here, none have required any belts and the only non consummable item replaced was a coil on the Kawakasi single.

To get a mower of the quality of what you bought in 2006 you need to be looking at paying about twice the price you did in 2006 just to be looking in the same ball park.

sugartooth

Threads
Let may say first that I am not very knowledgeable about lawn tractors. The only one I have ever owned is a 2006 TSC SuperHuskee SLT4200 (MTD?) 42" with an 18.5 hp B&S Intek engine. It has done the job over the years and I've only had to replace blades, belts, batteries and one set of spindles. It is not a comfortable machine, the steering is sloppy, the deck is hard to keep level, and the cut is not smooth when moving anything over slow. It's time for a new machine.

I (or my wife) mow about 2 acres of bumpy yard with some slope, several trees, parked farm equipment, a pond bank and a couple of drainage ditches. I don't think a Zero Turn would work for us. I have been doing some research on the internet and think I have narrowed it down to either a Husqvarna YT48XLS ($2800) or a Cub Cadet XT2 LX46 FAB ($2500). The Husq has a 26 hp Kohler 7000 series engine, while the Cub comes with either a 24 hp Kohler 7000 series or an 18 hp Kawasaki engine (same price). Both have fabricated decks, diff locks and comfortable seats (i have sat on the Cub but have yet to find the Husq, but it looks good). I think they have the same transmission.

I would appreciate any advice or opinion regarding either machine or perhaps about a better choice given my situation. I would also appreciate any advice on the engine choice for the Cub (6 hp difference sounds like a lot, but maybe not?). Thanks in advance for your time - Steve.

Stay away from zero turn, they are usually lousy on hills. I have had several husqvarna machines and they were and still are reliable,sturdy and worth the cash