Hustler/Honda starting issue

ghost1

Threads
Anybody know why my Hustler's starter will engage sometimes and just clicks others? Have replaced starter and still does same thing. Have to keep bumping to engage.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you checked the solenoid? Clicking is normally low battery then solenoid then the last possible thing is starter.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It looks like the started solenoid comes with the starter so that's all new. Start with battery cables and connections and if you got good power to the starter, the next thing is check for voltage drop to the small wire that operates the starter solenoid coil.

ghost1

Threads
Thanks for the quick replies. Have scrubbed all battery and ground connections with wire brush. Tried different battery that I know is a good one. Hooked solenoid wire to volt meter and is reading between 10 and 12 volts every time key engaged. Mower has three relays (start), (kill), and not sure what other does. Rotated to see if the (start) may be bad with same results. Acts like an old car I had that had to have key bumped a few times for starter to kick in.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the quick replies. Have scrubbed all battery and ground connections with wire brush. Tried different battery that I know is a good one. Hooked solenoid wire to volt meter and is reading between 10 and 12 volts every time key engaged. Mower has three relays (start), (kill), and not sure what other does. Rotated to see if the (start) may be bad with same results. Acts like an old car I had that had to have key bumped a few times for starter to kick in.

I was looking at the wiring diagram and it looks like a red wire go's to the starter solenoid coil and that go's to a starter relay. you might want to check that relay.

ghost1

Threads
It has three relays all same number, so I rotated them hoping the "start" relay was bad, but same results after switch.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seeing you are loosing 2 volts to the starter solenoid check where you are losing it. It looks like relay number 86 terminal go's to the key switch check your voltage there and number 30 go's to seat switch check volage there. This is if I am looking at the right wiring diagram?

ghost1

Threads
Thanks for that info, it really helps. Will check key and seat switch first thing in morning and advise findings. Thanks again........

ghost1

Threads
I bypassed the seat switch and checked voltage at ignition switch. I'm showing right at 10 volts at red hot wire. I'm electrical schematic challenged but when I set my meter to OHM to check continuity, every pole on ignition switch except for red hot wire shows connected to ground. Wire colors are red (hot), black, black, orange (two coming from same pole), red/black for a total of five. Also when engaging starter if it just clicks and I hold ignition key to start position, I'm blowing a fuse. I took old starter and bench tested it and it works fine.

ghost1

Threads
Also tried different PTO switch