Mower deck How to easily remove and attach the spring assist on front mount Grasshopper deck

heiss30

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / How to easily remove and attach the spring assist on front mount Grasshopper deck
Can anyone with a front mount grasshopper explain to me an easy way to remove and attach the spring assist bars with the little chain links on the end so i can remove the deck?

BWH

Threads
  • / How to easily remove and attach the spring assist on front mount Grasshopper deck
What Year and Model is your Grasshopper?

thehemikid

Threads
Not knowing what yr/model you're working on, I'll show you an older ~2003 721D example. These are what are called Traction Kit or Traction Control. You can adjust the spring tension to add more deck weight onto the drive tire if needed.

Anyway on with the help & pics

Some older models don't have the slot for a leverage bar/tool to fit in like my 1st pic. I just use a long flat bar.

1_zpse514lzud.jpg

2_zpsanl4itzj.jpg

I had to change out the one on my other side with an older one that doesn't have the slot, so I have used a monkey wrench with a cheater pipe on it for better leverage. If I remember correct I had to leave the wrench quite a bit loose so as not to jam up against the fender or so once the chain is off. It's been a while. The wrench in the 2nd pic is tight and you can see it'll come even closer to the set/fender(if on) once the chain is off. If it does jam up, no biggy, it'll hold it there for ya till you put everything back together. :laughing:

3_zpsdilprvom.jpg

4_zpsdyqkszfy.jpg

Hope this is close to the model you're working on,...if not maybe it'll help others.

PS: Not sure why my pics turned out so big,...something else I need fix.

Also pull the little cotter pins at the bottom of the chains before you get into a strain with the lever/wrench-pipe,...it'll make life a little easier.

jonnie

Forum Newbie
Threads
What Year and Model is your Grasshopper?

Grasshopper Riding Mower Model 718 Briggs & Stratton motor Vanguard