starting problems from kill wire on 11hp briggs

jerry1249

Threads
I have been trouble shooting this Stanley rider and found that it will run as long as the kill wire is disconnected. Checked key switch and wires to and from the coil.Have power on all wires even when I turn the key on. The kill wire does not break circuit when I turn the key on. I pulled the key switch back out and tested it for that one connection and found it was working right. Anyone have a place where I can obtain a schematic or maybe give me quick fix for this? All help deeply appreciated.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check your saftey switches. They are all connected to the kill wire.

jerry1249

Threads
thanks. I'm going to give that a looksee.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
When working with the kill wire you are working with negative not positive. When working with electric you have two different powers negative and positive and this is hard for a beginner to understand some times and why a wiring diagram is real helpful.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try this website for a wiring diagram. You don't give us a model number, but most of the Murray/Stanley mowers are the same. My bet is you will find a bad safety switch or a short in the yellow kill wire.

arkansas-ope.com/MURRAY_STANLEY_465606X692A.pdf

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I forgot. What is model number for mower?

jerry1249

Threads
Try this website for a wiring diagram. You don't give us a model number, but most of the Murray/Stanley mowers are the same. My bet is you will find a bad safety switch or a short in the yellow kill wire.

arkansas-ope.com/MURRAY_STANLEY_465606X692A.pdf

thanks for the info and website for the diagram. I'm after it.:thumbsup: