48'' walk behind faster than a 34'' ztr?

mowerman522

Threads
I'm thinking of getting into the commercial side of this business. Right now I have a gravely 34'' compact pro. It works good for my residential yards and gets into all my 36'' gates. It does do 9mph and cuts good at that speed, assuming the yard is not too bumpy. I'm thinking of getting a 48'' hydro walk behind to do larger properties. Would a 48'' walk behind be faster than my gravely? Or should I just use my gravely instead. I know the 48 is wider, but the gravely is also faster so I don't know.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Turning is what cost the most time. 48" will have less turns and less time. Bigger the property the more time saved.

mowerman522

Threads
Turning is what cost the most time. 48" will have less turns and less time. Bigger the property the more time saved.

Oh I see. Makes sense. I have one yard that's probably 12,000-15,000 sqft of lawn and then I have another that's tiny and it takes me 13 minutes of mowing on the big yard and 8 minutes on the small front yard. My numbers might be off by that's how I calculated it. I wonder if it would save enough time to make it worth having to shuffle mowers on the trailer. I've also pondered the idea of using a 48 walk behind for front yards then the ztr for the backyards, but most my yards are so small that I'm not sure it would save time.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Switching takes too much time unless the back yard is very large.

mowerman522

Threads
Switching takes too much time unless the back yard is very large.

Sounds like the setup I have now is the best. Even if I picked up an employee he would be trimming and I would mow and blow, and still wouldn't have a need for another mower. I'm going to pickup a 30'' toro to replace my 21.