Buying Advice New Toro or Keep What I Have

Hollyxyz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I'm not in the business...just looking for some advice on a new mower. I have 5 acres in the wilds of rural Tennessee. No trees; just lots of weeds and some grass! At least they're green. (30 acres total, but the other 25 acres I rent out...)

My husband and I bought a Toro Professional in 2005, Model 74246, with a Kohler engine. My husband died 4 1/2 years ago and I now take the machine, affectionately known as The Lawn Beast, to the dealer annually for its "checkup". This year's checkup up found an oil leak and some other "stuff" to the tune of $460. Has 625 hours on it.

Salesman said it might be time for a new mower, that things are mostly likely to start going wrong because of the hours.

He recommends a Toro Z Master Commercial 3000 #74957 - $9,000, $3,000 on my trade, and zero percent financing for 42 months. (can't hardly beat zero interest). He said he would throw in some bouncy seat ($500? and you have to dial in your weight?).

Am I getting screwed or might this be an okay deal? Thank you so much for your help.

PS: Although I have no reason to feel this way, I thought that 625 hours on an 11-year old machine didn't seem too bad. Plus, I never drive it hard/fast and it has always been garage kept.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi. I'm not in the business...just looking for some advice on a new mower. I have 5 acres in the wilds of rural Tennessee. No trees; just lots of weeds and some grass! At least they're green. (30 acres total, but the other 25 acres I rent out...)

My husband and I bought a Toro Professional in 2005, Model 74246, with a Kohler engine. My husband died 4 1/2 years ago and I now take the machine, affectionately known as The Lawn Beast, to the dealer annually for its "checkup". This year's checkup up found an oil leak and some other "stuff" to the tune of $460. Has 625 hours on it.

Salesman said it might be time for a new mower, that things are mostly likely to start going wrong because of the hours.

He recommends a Toro Z Master Commercial 3000 #74957 - $9,000, $3,000 on my trade, and zero percent financing for 42 months. (can't hardly beat zero interest). He said he would throw in some bouncy seat ($500? and you have to dial in your weight?).

Am I getting screwed or might this be an okay deal? Thank you so much for your help.

PS: Although I have no reason to feel this way, I thought that 625 hours on an 11-year old machine didn't seem too bad. Plus, I never drive it hard/fast and it has always been garage kept.

As I see it there are 3 things to consider:
1) 625 hours is very low. Should last you to at least 2000 hours.
2) $460 is not very high of a price to pay for quite a few more years of service.
3) $3000 is a very good trade in for an 11 year old machine. I think you could sell it out right and get a little more but why when they are giving it to you so easily.

I have no idea the value of the new machine as most places hide their prices unless you go in to see them but it does not seam to be off the pricing for commercial rigs.

I personally would not sped $6000 for a new mower when my older one works just fine.

Hollyxyz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the advice. That's kinda what I thought, but didn't know for sure.

It's a lot easier to buy a car these days (online guides) and not get screwed, but looking for prices on these lawn machines - I was 100% unsuccessful.

Well, good - I'll keep what I have, and that'll give me more gas $$$ to go camping!

Again, thanks for your logical and well-thought out help.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree keep what you have.
But I would find a new place to service the mower.
I have found that going to a small repair shop. You get better service then at the dealer.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cars, don't get me started. Yes there are bad dealers out there, but there are more good than bad. As with anything, the consumer has to do their home work.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cars, don't get me started. Yes there are bad dealers out there, but there are more good than bad. As with anything, the consumer has to do their home work.

Sorry did not mean to get you going.

I like me cub dealer.
But hate the local toro dealer.
I told them I wanted a gator type blade for my mower. Two guys told me the only blade that will fit it is the OEM high lift.
Went to a guy runs a shop out his back yard. Told him what I want. He turned around and handed them to me.

Toro dealer want to keep a mower for two weeks to replace a hydro pump.
The back yard guy took three days.
Done under warranty.

They just rub me the wrong way.