Toro SS4225 vs. Hustler Raptor 42

gpool

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm trying to decide between these 2 mowers. If the Hustler still had the Kawasaki motor I would definitely buy it, but they both now have the Kohler 7000 22HP engine. There are lots of good reviews for the Toro on the Toro and Home Depot websites, but it's very hard to find consumer reviews of the Hustler. I have a fairly small yard with little to no heavy debris to mow over. Because my yard is not that big I was initially looking at the smaller ZTR mowers like 32, 34 or 36". But the consensus seems to be to get a 42" because the smaller ZTRs don't have good traction and since the deck is narrower than tire width it is harder to "trim" or mow real close to fences, etc. That being said I haven't completely ruled out the 36" Raptor.

I know the Hustler has a welded deck vs. the Toro stamped deck. Since my mowing is pretty light duty not sure if I would get much benefit from the welded deck (I may be wrong about that though). I've seen some mention that stamped decks sometimes cut better than welded decks. Is that true?

The Toro is currently $300 cheaper than the Hustler, but that's not that's not a big enough difference to sway my decision. I'm looking to make the purchase pretty soon so any advise is greatly appreciated!

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm trying to decide between these 2 mowers. If the Hustler still had the Kawasaki motor I would definitely buy it, but they both now have the Kohler 7000 22HP engine. There are lots of good reviews for the Toro on the Toro and Home Depot websites, but it's very hard to find consumer reviews of the Hustler. I have a fairly small yard with little to no heavy debris to mow over. Because my yard is not that big I was initially looking at the smaller ZTR mowers like 32, 34 or 36". But the consensus seems to be to get a 42" because the smaller ZTRs don't have good traction and since the deck is narrower than tire width it is harder to "trim" or mow real close to fences, etc. That being said I haven't completely ruled out the 36" Raptor.

I know the Hustler has a welded deck vs. the Toro stamped deck. Since my mowing is pretty light duty not sure if I would get much benefit from the welded deck (I may be wrong about that though). I've seen some mention that stamped decks sometimes cut better than welded decks. Is that true?

The Toro is currently $300 cheaper than the Hustler, but that's not that's not a big enough difference to sway my decision. I'm looking to make the purchase pretty soon so any advise is greatly appreciated!

Both mowers are at the bottom of their company's line, and both offer the same drive train options. I would suggest buying your new mower from the better local dealer of the two, but it sounds as though you are going to purchase the mower at a box store. I wouldn't think it makes much difference which one you go with, as both are designed for exactly the type lawn you are mowing. Check out the Hustler and Toro threads on this site to get a better idea of what problems other members have noticed with these mowers. I do know that there have been some complaints about the raptor's exhaust burning the grass when the mower is idling. The solution was simple, however. Hustler makes a heat shield that can be purchased to fix the problem. I can't tell you much else about those two particular mowers, as I have mainly only used commercial ztr mowers.

gpool

Forum Newbie
Threads
Both mowers are at the bottom of their company's line, and both offer the same drive train options. I would suggest buying your new mower from the better local dealer of the two, but it sounds as though you are going to purchase the mower at a box store. I wouldn't think it makes much difference which one you go with, as both are designed for exactly the type lawn you are mowing. Check out the Hustler and Toro threads on this site to get a better idea of what problems other members have noticed with these mowers. I do know that there have been some complaints about the raptor's exhaust burning the grass when the mower is idling. The solution was simple, however. Hustler makes a heat shield that can be purchased to fix the problem. I can't tell you much else about those two particular mowers, as I have mainly only used commercial ztr mowers.

Thanks for your response. I do plan on buying my mower from a local dealer whichever one I choose. I was just researching the Toro on the Home Depot site since they had over 200 reviews for the SS4225. In contrast the Raptor has only 1 review on the Lowes site. It would be nice if Hustler would let people post reviews directly on their site like Toro and others do. Thanks again.

Good 1 Brian

Threads
gpool - I'm also new to this site like you also looking at the Toro 42" at HD but wanted to buy from a local Toro dealer just happen this dealer handle Hustler which I never heard of so the my research began
Long story short I ended up going the extra mile and bought the Raptor SD over the standard Raptor or Toro MX 4250
Three of the main reason for buying the Raptor SD -upgrade engine from Kohler 7000 to Kohler 7000 Pro , transmission from Hydro Gear EZT to 2800 series and blade speed 16,700 to 18,600

One thing I found that a lot of the comments about the transmissions the Hydro Gear EZT is an entry level unit and most recommend 2800 series or better but once you move above the 2800 you will be getting into commercial grade mowers
Two reason I read about no having the Kawasaki motor 1) Kawasaki don't want there motors in box store 2) they can't supply them fast enough :anyone:

For me I don't have a problem with the Kohler 7000 Pro Series
If interested check out the thread I started Raptor or Raptor SD

Last edited: