Tecumseh Cam Shaft

Jim84

Forum Newbie
Threads
HM100 Tecumseh Cam Shaft

On my 5000 watt generator the engine compression release on the camshaft is broken. I have not been able to find a 34143 cam shaft or a compression release. I have a 35375 cam shaft, will it work on my Tecumseh HM100 159272M 10 HP engine. It would be good if I could get a compression release to put on my camshaft. This problem causes a hard kick back.

I have the cam shaft out of the engine and the compression release is broken.

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Never mind. I found one on ebay for $33.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you opened up the engine to varify that the cam is the problem? Hard kickback is many times caused by a partially sheared flywheel key. Not an uncommon problem with engines on gensets.

awkerper

Threads
Have you opened up the engine to varify that the cam is the problem? Hard kickback is many times caused by a partially sheared flywheel key. Not an uncommon problem with engines on gensets.

I also have a severe kickback problem on my Tecumseh 11 HP engine for my 5,500 watt Coleman Powermate generator. I checked the flywheel key and adjusted the valve lash and I still have the kickback.

I'm curious why a flywheel key would shear on a generator? I can understand a lawnmower striking a solid object with the blade would cause the key to break, but what would cause a generator to experience such a severe shock that its flywheel key would shear?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you saying the generator key sheared or the engine flywheel key sheared? If it is the generator key, most likely caused by an improper taper between the armature shaft and engine shaft, plus bearing going bad. If it is the flywheel key the most likely cause is a flywheel nut not torqued properly. A second cause may be a loose armature bolt which will cause the engine to jump, shearing the key, when a load is applied.