Very little prime into carb when pushing on primer bulb????????????

franchi

Threads
  • / Very little prime into carb when pushing on primer bulb????????????
Hi All:

I have replaced the bulb, hose and checked that were no leaks anywhere but I still do not get enough prime into the engine to enable he engine to start.

What is wrong?

Tia,

franchi

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a tractor which won't move, what do I do? I know there are dozens of unit manufacturers and hundreds of possible engines, but can't someone please help me? I know I'm being sarcastic, but unless you tell us the make and model of the unit and the engine, with model and serial numbers there's not much else we can say. We are all over the world and with the political climate in the USA, our ESP is being jammed by the nonsense the candidates are spewing.

franchi

Threads
Hi Rivets:

Thanks for the reply. I posted it after having a bad day knowing that there was insufficient information for anybody to diagnose the problem. I will add more information.

The engine has:

model number 8237

serial number 6564176

engine number D 640

This morning I noticed that the fuel bowl drain had permitted the engine to leak fuel overnight. I stopped the leak by pressing the valve a few times. A new one will be ordered.

I can hear air being pushed out of the carb when the primer bulb is pressed. However, there is almost no fuel being injected into the throat of the carburetor. A large amount of fuel is ejected when I apply higher pressure to the primer tubing. I have cleaned the carb as well as I can to make sure that all passages are unobstructed. It appears that there may be a loss of air pressure in the carb that prevents fuel from being lifted into the carb. I will again look for leaks in the carb. I did this before, and there were no leaks so what am I missing?

Suggestions or comments welcomed.

Tia,

Franchi

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for the added info. With what you are describing I don't think you are getting enough fuel into the float bowl. If it can into the shop, I would do the following. Remove the carb, clean it and reassemble with a new float needle and seat. Part number 92-9697, about $7.00. You must make sure that the float height is set properly. This is the procedure which I use on about a hundred carbs a year. On your carb the seat can be unscrewed and not pressed in.

Needle and seat replacement

Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.

I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.

With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. *Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. *If it does, replace. *If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.

PS: *On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. *Under this cover will be an idle jet. *Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. *You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.

lewb

Threads
Sounds to me that the float is not seating, remove carb and float bowl, turn up side down and blow into gas inlet, should not be able to move any air. If you can bend tab on float until cannot get air to move through. I had an issue with my float and this was the only method where I was assure I had it adjusted right.

franchi

Threads
Hi Rivets:

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge!

Be well my friend,

Franchi

LawnboyD409

Forum Newbie
Threads
Don't know if the problem is resolved. Try spraying soap solution on the carb while priming. I suspect you have a leak at the gasket between the bowl and carb body.

Last edited: