Hustler Sport

Bubba_Gray

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to page, Just wondering if anyone on here owns the Hustler Sport 42'' deck. If you do own one how do you like it? any advice/tips for maintaining it?

Thanks

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I found a review of it thought you might like the read.
"I am the second owner to this zero turn machine. The engine is bullet proof. The frame and deck are excellent. The Sport leaves a good cut and mild stripe to the lawn.

Overall, I have been very happy with this mower to maintain 1.5 acre semi-sloped lot, plus .3 acre cul-de-sac and the occasional lawn job.

Again, I use it semi-commercially maintaining several lawns averaging .5 acres. It has done well with grass below 5 inches.

One bad thing is that when mowing slopes, it does not have good traction since the tires are narrow and the machine is light weight. However if you get stuck, it is light enough to lift and reposition.

To balance traction, it should have gas tanks on both sides since the tires are so narrow.

Engine should be larger, like 20 HP in my opinion, rather than 17.5. Yet it will throw grass clippings at least 2-3 feet when chute is removed.

Draining oil can be a pain in the ***, if you do not have a long clear plastic hose to redirect oil. However, changing the oil filter is a piece of cake.

Not many options available with this model other than deck size and a non-blower assisted bagger which does well from what I have read.

Again, I love this mower! Its a great improvement over what I did have. Low maintenance, heavy duty frame, great engine.

If you need this just to cut YOUR grass, having less than 2.0 acres, I highly recommend this mower!

If you want to mow an occasional yard to make some cash on the side, than go with the SD Fast Track. It's essentially the same mower frame, but with more power options, better transmission, hydros, and has bagger with blower available.

Any questions email me at South Carolina Lawn Care! My email is educatedman76@gmail.com

Thanks!"

Gabbyp

Threads
I have a 2009 year built Hustler Sport 42 that I purchased new in Jan 2010. I opted for the Honda engine over the B&S engine. No engine problems at all, just do the recommended maintenance. The oil change is easy as the supply a small hose to put on the drain fitting to drop below the frame into a pan. The oil filter is easy to remove but you have to clean some oil that spills onto the frame. Not a big deal. I have 290 hours on it as the season starts. I use it to cut 2 lawns for about 2 acres. My biggest problem is with the tires, The tubeless tires always leaked as the bead would not seal due to the low pressures required. I installed tubes on both front and back. I also broke a drive belt early on due to catching a twig between the belt and pulley. I replaced it and have had no problems since.

The lawns are nothing to write home about and the cut is acceptable with some clumping if the grass is wet. I pull a Brinly-Hardy aerator and dethatcher with no problems. I also have a Cyclone Rake that I have used for 3 seasons with no problems but the EZT hydros know when the bag is full as they stain to pull. Also the tires spin when the bag get full over slight elevations.

Overall I have had no problems but I may have used it beyond what Hustler would recommend but this is a tuff machine. I will be upgrading this year to a 48 inch deck with Hydro Gear 2800 or larger hydro units. Looking at a Hustler Raptor SD or other makes in this class size.

Bubba_Gray

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found a review of it thought you might like the read. "I am the second owner to this zero turn machine. The engine is bullet proof. The frame and deck are excellent. The Sport leaves a good cut and mild stripe to the lawn. Overall, I have been very happy with this mower to maintain 1.5 acre semi-sloped lot, plus .3 acre cul-de-sac and the occasional lawn job. Again, I use it semi-commercially maintaining several lawns averaging .5 acres. It has done well with grass below 5 inches. One bad thing is that when mowing slopes, it does not have good traction since the tires are narrow and the machine is light weight. However if you get stuck, it is light enough to lift and reposition. To balance traction, it should have gas tanks on both sides since the tires are so narrow. Engine should be larger, like 20 HP in my opinion, rather than 17.5. Yet it will throw grass clippings at least 2-3 feet when chute is removed. Draining oil can be a pain in the ***, if you do not have a long clear plastic hose to redirect oil. However, changing the oil filter is a piece of cake. Not many options available with this model other than deck size and a non-blower assisted bagger which does well from what I have read. Again, I love this mower! Its a great improvement over what I did have. Low maintenance, heavy duty frame, great engine. If you need this just to cut YOUR grass, having less than 2.0 acres, I highly recommend this mower! If you want to mow an occasional yard to make some cash on the side, than go with the SD Fast Track. It's essentially the same mower frame, but with more power options, better transmission, hydros, and has bagger with blower available. Any questions email me at South Carolina Lawn Care! My email is educatedman76@gmail.com Thanks!"
Thank you for taking the time to find this!

Bubba_Gray

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2009 year built Hustler Sport 42 that I purchased new in Jan 2010. I opted for the Honda engine over the B&S engine. No engine problems at all, just do the recommended maintenance. The oil change is easy as the supply a small hose to put on the drain fitting to drop below the frame into a pan. The oil filter is easy to remove but you have to clean some oil that spills onto the frame. Not a big deal. I have 290 hours on it as the season starts. I use it to cut 2 lawns for about 2 acres. My biggest problem is with the tires, The tubeless tires always leaked as the bead would not seal due to the low pressures required. I installed tubes on both front and back. I also broke a drive belt early on due to catching a twig between the belt and pulley. I replaced it and have had no problems since. The lawns are nothing to write home about and the cut is acceptable with some clumping if the grass is wet. I pull a Brinly-Hardy aerator and dethatcher with no problems. I also have a Cyclone Rake that I have used for 3 seasons with no problems but the EZT hydros know when the bag is full as they stain to pull. Also the tires spin when the bag get full over slight elevations. Overall I have had no problems but I may have used it beyond what Hustler would recommend but this is a tuff machine. I will be upgrading this year to a 48 inch deck with Hydro Gear 2800 or larger hydro units. Looking at a Hustler Raptor SD or other makes in this class size.

I think I may be having the same problem w the tires, I bought mine used from a family member. in good condition. I just replaced a front tire at the end of last season and I recently went go mow for the first time this season and it was flat; I are it up and there is a slow leak in it.

what about new mower blades? where do you
go to buy yours? everywhere I've Gone doesn't carry 42'' hustler blades.

Thanks for the reply!