2nd time with Ferris

AndySKane

Threads
Today I did my second mow with my Ferris IS1500Z zero turn. I'm starting to master the use of a ZTR and even mastered the little 30 degree swale I have to mow. Also getting pretty good at turns around trees and other objects.

The long straightaways is where the machine really shines. The lawn looks beautiful but still need some practice on the turns so not to rip up the turf quite so much. It's a much different pattern to mow back and forth rather than in ever smaller circles like I use to mow. The back and forth makes the cut much nicer.

noma

Threads
Hi AndySkane

Glad you are starting to enjoy you mower , some times it takes a while to learn the little tricks of the trade on how to mow with a different mower. Well good luck and you just keep practicing and soon you will be a old pro at it.:licking:

AndySKane

Threads
Did my third mow with the Ferris ZTR today. It took me 2 hours to mow the over 1 -1/2 acres plus the several hundred feet of paths in the woods. The 2 hours included trimming with the push mower. With my old Cub Cadet standard mower it took me about 3 hours to do the same. Some of the better time was due to the 48 inch deck vs. the 44 inch deck but this was offset some because I did a more thorough mow than previously. Most of the time gain was due the speed of the Ferris, up to 10 mph and much less wasted time on the turns and maneuvering around trees and other obstacles.

Now I can use the extra time to trim with the weedeater which I usually put off because 3 hours was long enough.

One down side is that mowing with the ZTR takes much more concentration while using the regular tractor was leisurly, like a Sunday afternoon drive.

Black Bart

Threads
When you turn tight make sure you keep the tires turning.
Slow the inside and speed up the outside but if the inside stops it will dig a hole.
If you need to make a really tight turn then reverse the inside tire but always concentrate on keeping both tires turning all the time.
25 years ago I bought my first zero turn and tore up some turf before I figured out what my problem was.:biggrin:

AndySKane

Threads
Thanks for the tip. I'll be mowing again on Sunday and will concentrate on the turns.

Black Bart

Threads
Thanks for the tip. I'll be mowing again on Sunday and will concentrate on the turns.
I know what you are going through but in time you will get to the point that you won't even need to think about it.
I'm aware of my wheel speed without looking but recently this guy was watching me mow who had just bought a ZTR and he said Man you sure make that look easy, I replied you will too after you have done it for 25 years.:laughing:

Hang in their you will learn it.:thumbsup:

AndySKane

Threads
Started my 4th mow with the Ferris IS1500Z yesterday. Got half way done when it started to rain. The mow looked really crappy with a lot of stingers and tufts. Today I cleaned the bottom of deck and pulled out about a bushel of jammed in grass. The chute was nearly 100% plugged.

The operators manual calls for a deck cleaning every 25 hours but I think I'll do it after every mow until I see how quickly the grass builds up.

It's real easy to jack up the front end on the Ferris. The front has a heavy metal plate where the axle pivot pin goes. I used my garage jack to raise it at this point with a block of wood between the jack and the frame so not to mar it and give the jack more height. Once raised I put blocks under the front wheels. This gave me plenty of room to reach under the deck and scrape it with a putty knife. I'll also have plenty of room to remove the blades.

Attachments

• Ferris1.jpg
    Ferris1.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 23

robert

Threads
Andy, I test mowed a Ferris IS500 yesterday, on rough turf, and it was by far the smoothest riding mower I have ever been on-it has to be experienced to be believed-same with the fit and finish.
Its too bad that they opted for the Briggs and that they did NOT put in the cooling fans but the dealer is standing firm on the statement that overheating will not be a problem ???, he has to mean for the average homeowner.

Yours is heavier which should translate into even a smoother ride, if that is possible.

BUT I did finally get my answer as to if the Briggs 'Professional' is the same as the ELS and sadly the answer is yes; I got the information packet from the Ferris and it is exactly the same as the one for my Exmark-the 'Professional' is the Intek all the way up to, and including the 27 hp. The nomenclature doesn't change until the 490000 series .

Its really too bad that this series consumer engine is on such a great riding, and looking-product; if the Briggs HAD to be used why couldn't they have at least pimped it up with the Deere spec oil cooler and 'Cyclonic' air filter ???????????

AndySKane

Threads
Andy, I test mowed a Ferris IS500 yesterday,Its too bad that they opted for the Briggs and that they did NOT put in the cooling fans but the dealer is standing firm on the statement that overheating will not be a problem ???, he has to mean for the average homeowner.

I didn't like the IS500Z because it didn't have the cooling fans although my dealer told me the same thing as yours. I like the suspension, the pivoting front axle, and the heavy fabricated deck on my Ferris. If you can do without any one of these three, take a look at some of the Simplicity Zero turns. If I hadn't found the deal on the 1500 Ferris I probably would have bought the IS500Z Ferris or one of the Simplicities.