2nd time with Ferris

AndySKane

Threads
I mowed the back part of my lawn and the paths in the woods with my Cub Cadet 2518 today rather than my ZTR Ferris. I plan to keep the Cub and want to run it occasionally. It was amazing what a difference going back to a standard mower was. I was constantly backing up and making three point turns. I wish it had power steering. It does have always on reverse mowing. Now, I like my Cub a lot but I highly recommend a zero turn for anyone who wants the fastest mow.

At first I thought the ZTR was more work but not anymore.

A regular mower is better, however, where there are overhanging bushes and branches and you have to go slow and push them out of the way, but no way would a permanently go back.

Black Bart

Threads
I mowed the back part of my lawn and the paths in the woods with my Cub Cadet 2518 today rather than my ZTR Ferris. I plan to keep the Cub and want to run it occasionally. It was amazing what a difference going back to a standard mower was. I was constantly backing up and making three point turns. I wish it had power steering. It does have always on reverse mowing. Now, I like my Cub a lot but I highly recommend a zero turn for anyone who wants the fastest mow.

At first I thought the ZTR was more work but not anymore.

A regular mower is better, however, where there are overhanging bushes and branches and you have to go slow and push them out of the way, but no way would a permanently go back.
I turn and push the deck under the bushes, I never try to mow sideways along them

AndySKane

Threads
I did a mow this past Thursday of my full 1.5 acres plus the paths in the woods with my Ferris zero turn. It took me 1-1/2 hours including trimming with the push mower. I tried the old mowing pattern of going round in ever smaller circles. This way was about half hour quicker than going back and forth because of less time used for end of row turns. Previously I had gone back and forth down rows which was too difficult with my standard tractor. However the quality of the mow wasn't as good because of some uneven mow at the right angle turns and the cutting throwout patten isn't as attractive. I guess I'll have to slow down on the turns. This pattern, having less turns, would seem to put less stress on the mower as well.

AndySKane

Threads
I turn and push the deck under the bushes, I never try to mow sideways along them

That's pretty hard to do when most of my sides face woods or rough hedgerows with overhanging brush that seem to grow two feet every couple weeks.

Last edited: