Buying Advice 2015 Cheetah 61" 31 hp Kaw, broken hr meter?

Sloan66

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking at a used Cheetah with 400 hrs showing, buying from a commercial lawn supplier. It was a trade in on a Exmark. Sales Rep states hr meter stopped working, and is getting original owner to verify hours and purchase date. The unit was used commercially.

Any advice on purchase? Should I be concerned with hr meter? There are three units that were traded in, the other 2 have approx. 600 hrs and the meters are working.

Value?

New to forum appreciate any help,

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unless you have a boatload of cash to throw around, I would stay away.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Scag hourmeters have an internal, non replaceable battery that keeps the LCD display alive. When the battery quits, the meter quits.
Scag has changed vendors of their hourmeters several times in recent years due to high failure rates.
It could also be disconnected.
But here is the thing about commercially operated, pre owned machines.
Some operators trade in their machines within one or two years of use and this is OK providing proper maintenance/warranty work has been performed.
Other operators keep their machines longer and keep up with scheduled maintenance. Usually these machines are high time however.
As for Scag Cheetah machines, operators either love them or hate them, not sure why!!!
Kawasaki big block engines are having some problems and to my knowledge Kawasaki hasn't as yet cleared them up. The 31 HP Kawi is a big block.
Unless you can "steal" this machine, I would stay away from it.
Just my thoughts!!! :laughing:

mcdonell

Threads
I have a 2014 60 inch Cheetah. It has a 27hp Kawasaki. I have only 50 hours on it. It is my first ZTR mower.

The mower is super fast and has a nice cut. The engine is noisy but has started easily and run well. I have had no problems with the machine and would recommend it. The only mod I have made is the pedal for the mower deck needed more foot surface and better leverage. I came up with a easy fix if anyone is interested.

Although the Cheetah has a nice suspension seat, it still rides too rough when I try to go really fast. Personally a commercially used mower would have to be really a steal of a price for me to be interested. And that ain't likely from a dealer.