Kohler Pro 25 HP Twin white smoke

jakesmurray

Threads
I have a couple of questions regarding my Kohler engine. Upon startup, it emits white smoke out of the muffler. It is brief, but it does it every time regardless of the engine being warm or cold. Does this mean it's running too rich? I looked at the carb, and there do not appear to be any adjustment screws whatsoever. Also, the engine will surge at high RPMs, but his usually only happens when there is no load on the engine. When driving or mowing, it doesn't do it. What could that be? Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
White smoke = oil burning
Black smoke = fuel burning too rich
So you have an internal engine problem.
This could be anything from a blocked drain in the head allowing oil to pool and run down the open valve stem into either the engine or exhaust, or a head gasket just sarting to let go or even a crack in the engine housing allowing oil to weep out onto the exhaust.

Surging is always due to insufficient fuel which can be either an air leak between the main jet and the engine or not enough fuel getting to the main jet.

Now ad the two together and the first conclusion is engine has air leak causing it to run too lean which generates too much heat which thins the oil too much which allows some oil to get past the rings and pool on top of the piston which gets burned on start up causing brief emittance of white smoke.

IF this is he case and I said IF then it will lead to major engine damage so you need to test it out quickly.

My first thought would be to check the tightness of the bolts holding the carb together, carb to manifolds and the spark plugs.
Next get some WD 40 or similar IN A TRIGGER GUN not a spray can and while the engine is running flood all around the engine and manifold with the WD 40.
If there are leaks the engine should change the revs and if it is a big leak you might even get some white smoke.

jakesmurray

Threads
Thanks! I will try those things tomorrow. I just did a compression test, so I know the spark plugs are tight. The left piston was at 160 PSI, while the right piston was at 150 PSI. One thing that was abnormal was that the left spark plug tip was completely black with carbon, while the right side was clean as a whistle. I replaced these plugs about a month ago, they maybe have 2 hours on them. What would cause this? Too much fuel getting to the left cylinder?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Very rare for single carby engine to have a difference between cylinders mixture wise.
Now is the carbon dry and fluffy or wet and hard.
Dry & fluffy = rich burn
Wet & hard = oil in cylinder

You can get ignition problems with twins which cause 1 cylinder to miss a bit which will show up as a rich burn on the plug.

However if you are getting an oil burn then it is fairly well cut and dry.
Failure of the oil scraper rings , failure of the inlet valve stem seal or least likely with those numbers failure of the gasket.

jakesmurray

Threads
Sorry for the long pause, I was out of town this past week. I opened up the carb and the gasket for the accelerator pump in the carb was as crunchy as a potato chip. I ordered a new one along with a new spring, and it should show up today. I'm hoping it runs better once those new parts are installed. :thumbsup: