Kohler 23 HP Courage Exhaust Leak

jjp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2006 Cub Cadet LT 1050 with a 23 HP courage engine. Has always run great and still does, but....
I noticed a couple of years ago that it started a "sputting sound" (lack of better description), especially at idle, on one of the exhaust ports at the exhaust pipe flange. I knew it was definitely an exhaust leak and could feel the hot exhaust in that location. I finally got around to ordering a new gasket, assuming that was the problem. When I examined the old gasket, it was intact and showed no signs of burn through, but installed the new gasket and started it up, finding that the leak is still there. I took the pipe off and examined the welding at the flange to see if maybe there was a leak there. It doesn't appear to be faulty, but after cleaning thoroughly, I'm not sure if there is a hairline crack in the weld or it's just the way the weld was finished. There doesn't appear to be any evidence of an exhaust leak coming through the flange or pipe. The new gasket showed a uniform depression from the installation, so I'm sure it's not leaking there. I examined the block as best I could with a mirror and flashlight (easier than removing engine) and down between one of the cooling fines I think I can see exhaust residue. Is it possible that there is a hairline crack in head next to the exhaust port? Has anyone ever heard of or seen this before? Other than the annoying "sputting sound" everything appears to be fine and am considering ignoring it until it presents a performance problem. I'm stumped.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are your sure that it is coming out of the engine and not flowing back from the headder muffler joint then blowing back up the fins to the exhaust port ?

If you smoke , or know a smoker try blowing smoke round the area and see where it is going.
The single cylinder courage engines can develope a crack in the crankcase from closing plate adjacent to the exhaust cam bit it normally becomes quite obvious by all the oil dripping out.
Other than than the engine breaths through the rocker cover so you might be getting some leaks from there although it is also usually a bit oily.

jjp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have felt a small leak at the header pipe/muffler joint, but since it is a friction fit, assumed it is to be expected. The distance is great enough that it does not reach the header pipe flange and the exhaust leak felt is on the flywheel side of the flange opposite the muffler assembly. Then there is whoosing sound (better description than sputting) that is heard at idle and as the engine stops when turned off. The sound is timed with the compression stroke on that cylinder. And, the engine is dry as a bone, no oil anywhere. I saw some feedback on leaking head gaskets on this side (Right from Drivers seat), but haven't investigated and not sure how close the joint is to the exhaust port.