stihl mm 55 tiller carb problems?????

gmacmopar

Threads
Here in Canada a carb kit is 17$. A brand new carburetor is 65$ and add 15% sales tax. That is why I rebuild them if I can.

To clean the spark arrestor:

Wear cloves.
Grab a torch.
Hold the tip of the screen with a vise grip and get that screen glowing red to burn all carbon off. It's ok if the arrestor is dirty in the corners. You want the center to be clean; where the exhaust escapes.

Ok, I will try that tomorrow thanks for the advice.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
No problem! Let us know how it goes!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here in Canada a carb kit is 17$. A brand new carburetor is 65$ and add 15% sales tax. That is why I rebuild them if I can.

To clean the spark arrestor:

Wear cloves.
Grab a torch.
Hold the tip of the screen with a vise grip and get that screen glowing red to burn all carbon off. It's ok if the arrestor is dirty in the corners. You want the center to be clean; where the exhaust escapes.

This is the reason I hate working on these small 2 cycle engines. The cost of the labor and parts the customer can buy new equipment. No money to be made. Its good that gmacmopar will try to fix his own equipment, but already he's having problems. As you said (I rebuild them if I can) This is the very reason I suggested a new carburetor. I hope him the best of luck on this repair :thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Reynoldston, that is the reason that I don't spend more than 15 minutes on a trimmer.. that allows for replacement of spark plug or fuel lines, filter in most cases, or maybe a carb replacement if it is cheap enough.

Past that point and you will be around 75% of replacement cost if not above replacement cost.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Reynoldston, that is the reason that I don't spend more than 15 minutes on a trimmer.. that allows for replacement of spark plug or fuel lines, filter in most cases, or maybe a carb replacement if it is cheap enough.

Past that point and you will be around 75% of replacement cost if not above replacement cost.

I am very up front with my customers when they want repairs on this style of equipment. My problem is I just can't charge someone for a job not fixed so that makes me the loser. Time lost finding problem and looking up price of parts. Not hard at all to spend well over a hour of time for no money just to tell them to buy new. One of the disadvantages of a one job at a time small one man shop.

gmacmopar

Threads
Ok, well I took a torch and cleaned the arrestor, Put it all back together and it wanted to flood with the choke. So I cleaned the plug and got it fired up but still it would not keep running. So finally I adj the High speed opposite of what the book says,(clockwise all the way) I turned it clockwise all the way that helped a bit. Then I turned the low speed all the way in cw and it is suppose to be 1 turn out cc. I have the idle speed turned all the way in and it would run somewhat but still would never get to the power it used to have. Well I guess the only other option I have is to get a new carb and see what happens. Like some said it is not worth countless hrs on these small engines when you can get a new part for less. So now tomorrow down to the store!

Thanks garymac

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Something is wrong there. I would say reset to factory settings the carburetor. If that does nothing, just get the new carburetor. Much easier.

Keep us posted.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is the reason I hate working on these small 2 cycle engines. The cost of the labor and parts the customer can buy new equipment. No money to be made. Its good that gmacmopar will try to fix his own equipment, but already he's having problems. As you said (I rebuild them if I can) This is the very reason I suggested a new carburetor. I hope him the best of luck on this repair :thumbsup:

As much as these are small engines, they can be a PITA to fix and diagnose what is wrong excaly.

gmacmopar

Threads
It will not run on factory settings at all. If you try to choke it on cold start it floods. The only way I could get it to run was what I posted earlier. Then it has no power what so ever and will not idle. This is what it was doing in the first place only harder to start and keep running. I know I put the carb back together as it came apart I took a lot of pics. I think I will just order a new carb and see what happens unless I am missing something that you guys can see? I will piddle tomorrow but go ahead and order a new carb. Does the new carb come complete? Or are there extra's like the idle and low speed screw I have to order separate? Okay guys,

Thanks Gary Mac

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe you put something in there the wrong way. Did you use a carburetor rebuild kit or reuse the old pieces? Also, you might have forgotten to clean out a section that may have a speck of dirt. Doesn't take much to get these carburetors to have a fit.

Carburetor comes complete and preseted. Bolt on and run.