Why stop production of Honda tractors and riding mowers?

ziti

Threads
  • / Why stop production of Honda tractors and riding mowers?
I have an 89' honda 3011h and it's been a great investment. Absoulutely no complaints and would not have hesitated to buy a new one. Last year, I wanted to upgrade to a larger mower and found Honda's not producing tractors anymore. I bought a Hustler 52-Raptor instead (no problems so far). I still use my old Honda. I have to tell you it would have been good to take a test drive on a shiny new Honda 52-inch ZRT!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Simple they did not make them enough money.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
In the mid-late 90s, the Honda plant in North Carolina was making 3 rear-engine riding models, and then 1/2 dozen front engine lawn tractors. The last riding equipment model Honda offered in the USA was build by John Deere (it was built with an 18 or 20 hp Honda engine). Honda left the riding equipment market in 2000, and decided to focus on their core engine and 21" walk-behind mower business. Honda no doubt considered the ZTR market, but no products were ever introduced. Larger Honda V-twin engines are used by many current ZTR manufacturers.

Honda Europe / Honda U.K. stills offers a few rear-engine riders and front-engine lawn tractors, which are made in Italy.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
In the mid-late 90s, the Honda plant in North Carolina was making 3 rear-engine riding models, and then 1/2 dozen front engine lawn tractors. The last riding equipment model Honda offered in the USA was build by John Deere (it was built with an 18 or 20 hp Honda engine). Honda left the riding equipment market in 2000, and decided to focus on their core engine and 21" walk-behind mower business. Honda no doubt considered the ZTR market, but no products were ever introduced. Larger Honda V-twin engines are used by many current ZTR manufacturers.

Honda Europe / Honda U.K. stills offers a few rear-engine riders and front-engine lawn tractors, which are made in Italy.

I really thought they just lost out. I figured that back in the 90s Honda just didn't think the ZTR market was going to amount to much so they just decided to focus on their core engine and 21" walk-behind mower business. I don't think at that time anyone thought the ztr market was going to go where it has.