Help identifying grass

OJA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just moved Into a new house in Dec. I have a patch of grass that stayed green and looks as though it might be fescue, but I'm not sure. It's a different color than the other grass, and it almost looks low growing and possibly creeping. I live in Chesterfield MO if that helps. I have about a half acre of flat land, but no one took are of the lawn. I'm going to have my work cut out for me

Thanks

Oops, looks like I can't attach a pic from my phone. I'll have to find a laptop

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vn4imv3u6fqx2ei/20160130_133017.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/juumnruuyl9lj6n/20160130_133006.jpg?dl=0

Still couldn't get pictures to upload. Hope the links work

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Second picture is fescue.

georeedy

Threads
That actually looks like zoysia to me. The clumping fescue we see here in SC is much finer and greener. Also looks like it's spreading more like zoysia than fescue. Might be different in MO, just my opinion.

OJA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the responses. The Zoysia here in MO is brown this time of year. It is definitely creeping and I don't believe it is grass. I will take another picture when I get a chance. The last time I looked at it, it almost looks like plants or flowers. I do have a lot of violets in my yard as well.
I'm basically just going to overseed and try to get rid of the weeds in the fall

georeedy

Threads
We have this stuff down in SC called lily turf. I've seen it grow in a bushy shape like a low ornamental grass and as ground cover under trees. When it's ground cover it almost looks like the picture you uploaded. Try googling it to see if it looks familiar.

OJA

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have this stuff down in SC called lily turf. I've seen it grow in a bushy shape like a low ornamental grass and as ground cover under trees. When it's ground cover it almost looks like the picture you uploaded. Try googling it to see if it looks familiar.

I think you may have nailed it. I was thinking it looked like tulip or lily leaves. Something to that effect anyway. I'll try to remember to go have another look