Engine dies - need help please!

gkmkloz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine starts fine, with full tank of gas would run forever, but when you engage the transmission or the tiller tines, it immediately dies. If you disengage as the motor starts to die, then it perks right back up and keeps running. When the engine dies, you can restart immediately and it runs fine. If the engine is running and you push the tiller across the yard, it starts to run rough. When you stop pushing the tiller, the engine again runs fine. Neighbor is small engine repairman, and has gone through the carbeurator twice, changed spark plugs, and he thought it might be governor but has not tried that as yet. Has given up in frustration. Does this sound familiar to anyone out there?
I know if I took this problem to a shop, they would try 6 different things and charge for each one - not there yet. Would like to solve this problem myself without doing that.

Mikel1

Threads
Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel. Did he make sure tank is clean?
Would be helpful for everyone to know what tiller and exactly what engine model this is.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Engine starts fine, with full tank of gas would run forever, but when you engage the transmission or the tiller tines, it immediately dies. If you disengage as the motor starts to die, then it perks right back up and keeps running. When the engine dies, you can restart immediately and it runs fine. If the engine is running and you push the tiller across the yard, it starts to run rough. When you stop pushing the tiller, the engine again runs fine. Neighbor is small engine repairman, and has gone through the carbeurator twice, changed spark plugs, and he thought it might be governor but has not tried that as yet. Has given up in frustration. Does this sound familiar to anyone out there?
I know if I took this problem to a shop, they would try 6 different things and charge for each one - not there yet. Would like to solve this problem myself without doing that.

If you took it to an ethical shop they should charge you the specified amount for diagnosing that particular piece of equipment.
Down here it is called the book rate. Some of my repairs take better than a week to diagnose.but the customer get charged 1 hour for the diagnosis maximum plus scheduled repair time & parts.
This is one reason why a lot of shops don't do hand held equipment.
Now your problem responds to movements so if it is not water in the float bowl then it will most likely be a shorting wire. Next suspect would be crud blocking off the fuel outlet or a pinched fuel line.

gkmkloz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel. Did he make sure tank is clean?
Would be helpful for everyone to know what tiller and exactly what engine model this is.

This engine is mounted on a Troybilt tiller - it is a Kohler Command Pro-6, Model CS6T - Family XYMXS-1711 ea
Any ideas greatly appreciated~!

gkmkloz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Engine dies - need help please! Additional information!!!

This engine is mounted on a Troybilt tiller - it is a Kohler Command Pro-6, Model CS6T - Family XYMXS-1711 ea
Any ideas greatly appreciated~!

I just thought of some additional information which could be very helpful to someone. When the engine is first started cold, I can till across the garden and go approximately 50 feet, turn around and come back about half way, and engine dies. From that point on, after the initial warmup of a couple minutes, it behaves as originally described, and will continue to die.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It sounds like you have a fuel restriction preventing gas from refilling the carb as fast as it is being used. When you start the carb is full, but since gas isn't flowing properly, you are running out of fuel. Need to check fuel flow rate out of tank as well as from needle valve.