Raptor or Raptor SD ?

DK35vince

Threads
I was reading the Raptor vs Raptor SD topic and I really enjoyed your comment. I went to Lowes last year and was "undersold" (I didn't realize it at the time) a base Raptor, and other than the Kawasaki engine (that ran perfect), I hated the mower. Rough ride, lousy seat, noisy (thin) vibrating deck and spindles. I tried everything I could to live with it (suspension seat bracket, flex forks - they don't tell you they don't flex on the Raptor because the mower is too light - at least in my case, they never moved at all), but Hustler eventually got sick of my questions/complaints and told me to take it back through Lowes (I had it less than a year and probably didn't put 40 hours on it total. I didn't expect the offer of a return, but was thrilled, and now I am about to take delivery of the SD 60" (the best Hustler that Lowe's sells, because I'd even like to get the Fastrak model), but now I have two issues - 2015 vs 2016 models (it seems the 2015 had a better engine, but I like the 2016 seat better), and Hustler itself (I am wondering if they are not going to honor the new warranty on the SD since they helped me so much by taking back the other Raptor, and they said they didn't want me to get another Raptor, but in my experience the SD is so much better). What do you think of the 2015 vs 2016 thing? It seems unprofessional that their customer service won't respond to any of my messages since they took the Raptor back, but does anyone else out there have feedback on Hustler customer service? Do you think I can get fair treatment with them on the SD, or should I move to another brand?
If you disliked the Raptor that much I doubt the SD model will be different enough from the base model to make you happy.
Look elsewhere IMO.

shanewoodsman

Threads
If you disliked the Raptor that much I doubt the SD model will be different enough from the base model to make you happy.
Look elsewhere IMO.

Yes, you have a good point! I think that is what Hustler was thinking when they told me that. The only reasons I was thinking of trying the SD is that most of the things on the Raptor (that I don't like) are different on the SD - the deck (heavier) and spindle design, the front wheels (bigger), and the seat (more springs, more padding). I really should get a low-end commercial but the local Hustler dealer is not an option (he didn't want my business because I purchased a Lowe's Hustler - didn't see me as his type of customer, and he was obviously getting annoyed because I was asking him questions about the mowers he sells). It is either the SD from Lowes, or another brand elsewhere (I don't see any other mower at Lowes that peaks my interest at all). Thanks for the advice! If I do take delivery of it, as another poster said, I have to decide on the extended warranty (some comments here are positive, but others online say it is a gimmick).

mhavanti

Threads
I purchased mine from the local dealer and his prices are not negotiable. I paid full song for my SD60 and held out for a deck washout installed. Not a big deal because we know they won't actually do anything.

The Raptor has standard size tires front and rear where the SD has the widest available front and rear. Really saves on your lawn disturbances and how much swamp you may need to float over after a long rain.

If you're going to purchase from Lowes, the extended warranty will get you a replacement rather than a dozen repairs from what I understand. I do a lot of extended warranties and so far, I'm way ahead of the game overall.

I was a dealer for many many decades and as Bert and several other current dealers will tell you, there are good dealers and not so good. Some are very cantankerous and feel you are wasting their valuable winter time when they could be sleeping. Instead of being very attentive to every person walking thru their doors as possible clients, some seem to rather nap all winter.

As I always say, run it like you stole it.

If you break it, fix it.

Good luck in your decision and hope it works out.