Raptor or Raptor SD ?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
First want to thank everyone for there reply on this thread also to this site Lawn World :thumbsup:

This whole thing on getting a zero turn mower started a few weeks ago when I was at Home Depot looking at the Toro zero turn mower , not wanting to by from a box store I looked for a local Toro dealer just happen he also sold the Hustler brand. I knew nothing about zero turn mower manufacturers so I started my research , again this site was a big help !

Well I found out there's a lot of good manufacturers !
Today I place my order for a 42" Hustler Raptor SD

My reasoning for selecting the 42" Raptor SD are - first and very important to me a good local dealer , 42" ideal size for my property lay out , upgrade transmission and motor over the standard Raptor , the blade speed 18,600

The one thing different about the 2016 Raptor SD the Kawasaki engine was replaced by the Kohler 7000 Pro Performance engine
is that a :thumbsup: or :thumbdown: or not that big of deal :confused2:?

Kohler makes a good engine. The 7000 series is their newer engine and if it's a big deal or not really would depend on the individual buying the mower and if there a Kawasaki fan or not. If I'm not mistaken they were running the FR Kawasaki to start with and it was the bottom end motor for Kawasaki so I would think the Pro series Kohler would be IMO a better engine.
I ran the two Professional series Kohler Courage engines on the cub cadet Z force mower for years on essentially the same set up as your buying and never had any issues at all with the engines and they were ran six days a week when we started the business. I now run the Toro mowers and use the Kawasaki FS and FX engines and they also have been great engines. Change the oil according to the manual and use what it says and you'll never have any issues.

Good 1 Brian

Threads
Kohler makes a good engine. The 7000 series is their newer engine and if it's a big deal or not really would depend on the individual buying the mower and if there a Kawasaki fan or not. If I'm not mistaken they were running the FR Kawasaki to start with and it was the bottom end motor for Kawasaki so I would think the Pro series Kohler would be IMO a better engine.
I ran the two Professional series Kohler Courage engines on the cub cadet Z force mower for years on essentially the same set up as your buying and never had any issues at all with the engines and they were ran six days a week when we started the business. I now run the Toro mowers and use the Kawasaki FS and FX engines and they also have been great engines. Change the oil according to the manual and use what it says and you'll never have any issues.

Correct on the FR Kawasaki , if Kawasaki had a weak link in there engine line up from the googling I did the FR Kawasaki engine would be the one I'm not saying that it's a bad engine just at the enter level of the Kawasaki engine .
I have know problem getting the Raptor SD with a Kohler 7000 Pro Series and if it had the FR Kawasaki would not make a different to me
Like you said do maintenance as per the manual

chemingthroughtheleather

Threads
Love my Raptor SD 54",getting ready to break it out for the cutting season.I cut approx 2 acres and this mower seems ideal for my needs.All I need is a re-adjustment of my steering levers.

mhavanti

Threads
I bought a SD60 February '14 and haven't had any problems. I run it like I stole it and do an acre in less than half the time I did with the 42inch cut riding mower. The upper level seat, worth it. The engine guard, worth it, the extra wide tires front and rear, worth it and there are a few other things, worth it. Spend the money and you'll be happy.

There are two commercials on the block. Both are 54" Z ones I think it is. They have faster ground speed, seats suck, blade adjustment is easier and much faster, but, using a stop watch, my SD60 cuts either of the three yards in less time than the two commercials. I learned a valuable lesson from swapping lawns for time test. Bringing their weeds into my yardwWasn't really worth the experiment to decide who can cut the fastest.

My suggestion to all the upgrade blade suggestions is: forget them and run the dickens out of the mower and use the blade speed for all its worth. No offense meant to folks pushing the blades.

If you break it, fix it and keep on truckin'!

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
As a matter of fact I think I do take to many meds. The Doctor has got me on Simvastatin, Metoprolol, Lisinopril, Aspirin, Vitamin D and a few others which I wont put down and it's a bummer. and Yes I do believe In many cases and ways mowers today are built far better than than they used to be. I think we discussed this thing about you responding with a complete book instead of a post before. If I want to read a post that long I'll get a book off amazon and read one and BTW Richard Engel has a good book out it's called And Then All Hell Broke Loose. It's about two decades in the middle east, it's a good read you should get a copy.

Haha! Great reply. I have missed some of these heated discussions. Wish I had a high five emoji.:thumbsup:

mhavanti

Threads
SHughes, my name is Hughes as well. My post isn't meant as inflammatory. lol

shanewoodsman

Threads
I have a HustlerZ 60", so when my sis needed a mower I suggested a smaller Hustler. With my help she got the Raptor. Knew right away should have got the SD. You had to un-bolt the seat to adjust. Deck jumps up 2" when enguaged. Rides rough but it's residental when mine is commercial, huge difference. Dealer said to try the gatorblades and deck block for mulching. Not good for leaves, need also the metal under the deck seperating the blade compartments.

I was reading the Raptor vs Raptor SD topic and I really enjoyed your comment. I went to Lowes last year and was "undersold" (I didn't realize it at the time) a base Raptor, and other than the Kawasaki engine (that ran perfect), I hated the mower. Rough ride, lousy seat, noisy (thin) vibrating deck and spindles. I tried everything I could to live with it (suspension seat bracket, flex forks - they don't tell you they don't flex on the Raptor because the mower is too light - at least in my case, they never moved at all), but Hustler eventually got sick of my questions/complaints and told me to take it back through Lowes (I had it less than a year and probably didn't put 40 hours on it total. I didn't expect the offer of a return, but was thrilled, and now I am about to take delivery of the SD 60" (the best Hustler that Lowe's sells, because I'd even like to get the Fastrak model), but now I have two issues - 2015 vs 2016 models (it seems the 2015 had a better engine, but I like the 2016 seat better), and Hustler itself (I am wondering if they are not going to honor the new warranty on the SD since they helped me so much by taking back the other Raptor, and they said they didn't want me to get another Raptor, but in my experience the SD is so much better). What do you think of the 2015 vs 2016 thing? It seems unprofessional that their customer service won't respond to any of my messages since they took the Raptor back, but does anyone else out there have feedback on Hustler customer service? Do you think I can get fair treatment with them on the SD, or should I move to another brand?

mhavanti

Threads
Only difference between the seats is the material covering on the SD60. I really enjoy my 2015 model I picked up in 14.

I do like the Kawasaki engine over the Honda and Kohler and as far as I can tell, it has been a good purchase.

Purchase Lowe's 3 year extended warranty. Our local dealer swore up and down there is no extended warranty from Hustler, however, after I purchased the unit and had it a couple of months, I found out Hustler does offer the warranty, however, you have to purchase it at the time of purchase of the unit. No exceptions was what Hustler told me, no matter what their dealers tells you.

I can pretty much say you're gonna love the big ole SD60 other than it is a lot of mower deck if you have any tight spots or where two angle merge together. It will leave scalp cuts on one side or the other unless you have enough area to keep from having to straddle the lower part of the V at the bottom of the two angles. Other than that, I enjoy mine.

Again, I say, purchase it, service it and run it like you stole it.

If it breaks, fix it.

Good 1 Brian

Threads
Purchase Lowe's 3 year extended warranty. Our local dealer swore up and down there is no extended warranty from Hustler, however, after I purchased the unit and had it a couple of months, I found out Hustler does offer the warranty, however, you have to purchase it at the time of purchase of the unit. No exceptions was what Hustler told me, no matter what their dealers tells you.

I was told the factory warranty is three years on the mower but only two years on the motor , what is covered on the extended warranty ?