How to Choose a Name?

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
alright guys this up coming season I begin the start of 100% legal company I wanna have a good name i would stick with for as long as the company stays around. I have officially completed several landscape design an management classes along with I go soon to get my tech spraying card so I can apply weed killer an fertilizers legally here in Alabama. Along with all that I have a very noticeable set up i drive a huge lifted 2500hd Gasser on 37s an after after market bumpers (prob will always have this type of vehicle love them) with a nice red trailer with my racks an such I offer many services Lawn Care, Lawn Maintenance, Leaf Clean ups, Tree an Stump Removal, Pressure washing an my newest come along fences I have had plenty of work in all these types of work an more i just wanna try an find a name that fits what my company does an shows at my best so with all this information any ideas as to what yall think i should name it?? on an Btw if you didnt know by my name on here its Kodie. :thumbsup::laughing::rolleyes:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please don't take this the wrong way, as by your post you seemed to be doing things the right way, but a name is just a name, no more no less. How well you do your job, how professional your workers act, the type of person you are in the community will make them remember you better than your company name. Use the KISS method. Keep It Short & Simple. Good Luck.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rivets is right about that. People will associate you with what you offer/who you are. Most of the references I have are: "my friend told me you cut grass and that your were good, could you come and give me a quote?" They just know my personal name. All tho, it's always good to have a good company name and diffuse it everywhere.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
People like to beal with people on a personnal level.
So a name like your screen name works well. It makes it easy for long term repeat customers to bond with the company.
Alliteration makes the name memorable
So Kodie's complete castle care will tell people you do more than lawns and have a sense of humour.
Change the spelling slightly which will make people notice the sign because we tend to remember things that are wrong
Kodie's Komplete Kastle Kare will be very memorable and highly noticeable
add a tag line
Kodie's Komplete Kastle Kare - "because every mans home is his castle" and that will stick in peoples brains.
Downside is because it will stick, every job you mess up will also stick.

Buy the domain name KKKK or Kodies so people can find you easily on the web Service@Kodies.com , lawns@kodies.com etc

However a personnal name will make it harder to sell the business should you want to move on for whatever reason.
I am not Bert, I bought the repair run from Bert and this confuses customers.

What the others have already said is very important.
The service is far more important than the name but a name that sticks in peoples head won't hurt.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
KKKK might not be super in the U.S. lol. Might get some angry.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
alright guys this up coming season I begin the start of 100% legal company I wanna have a good name i would stick with for as long as the company stays around. I have officially completed several landscape design an management classes along with I go soon to get my tech spraying card so I can apply weed killer an fertilizers legally here in Alabama.
Along with all that I have a very noticeable set up i drive a huge lifted 2500hd Gasser on 37s an after after market bumpers (prob will always have this type of vehicle love them) with a nice red trailer with my racks an such I offer many services Lawn Care, Lawn Maintenance, Leaf Clean ups, Tree an Stump Removal, Pressure washing an my newest come along fences I have had plenty of work in all these types of work an more i just wanna try an find a name that fits what my company does an shows at my best so with all this information any ideas as to what y'all think i should name it?? on an Btw if you didn't know by my name on here its Kodie. :thumbsup::laughing::rolleyes:

I don't really agree with the others about all the catchy names and slogans. IMO they make a business look very immature. I do however agree with Rivets, Keep It Short & Simple. Assuming you have already been doing Lawn-care under the name of Kodie's Lawn Service I see No reason to change. You're already established under the name you're using.

I mean why would you go to the trouble of basically starting another business with a new name, that would be the same thing as starting over and your clients already know you as Kodie's Lawn Service, stay with it.

I'd just add your license number, LLC or what ever to the name you're already using and advertise the business and added service's that way and not take a chance on possibly losing the clients you already have to establish the same business under a new name. Remember it's not the name that makes the business, it's what you do and how well you do it that counts.

Mikel1

Threads
Ric has some good points.
Not a bad idea to advertise the tree & stump removal and the pressure washing- flyers, business cards,etc. Surprised your not putting in sprinkler systems.

Maxrevs

Threads
Kodie's Lawn Service sounds good to me. Stick with it.

In my previous life in publishing & marketing I came across so many attempts by ordinary folk to dream up "cool" or "trick" names for businesses, services, magazine names, etc. Let me tell you, 99 per cent of them only worked in the mind of the originators, who seemed to endow the most mundane, corny, cheesy names with almost mystical reverence. When they told us the name they held dear, with their eyes shining and their "knowing" smiles beaming, it was if they were showing us a picture of their most adored and beautiful child - when, to the rest of us, it was just an ugly kid.

We'd be tactful, suggest alternatives. Our editorial teams would get to work questioning them at length on the target market, demographics, USP, etc. There would be brainstorming sessions, and focus groups to establish what impression this or that word would suggest to the public … and on and on it would go. Five grand later we'd have the "perfect" name or phrase. Then the spending would start again on creating the logo, the strapline, the website, etc, etc - I'm so glad I've left that bullshit world behind me.

Sorry mate, my "advice" turned into a rant about my previous existence :ashamed:

The real point is that it's so very difficult to come up with the right name that gives the right impression, at a glance, to everyone who sees it (without it having to be explained to them), that it's a very rare thing indeed, and the worst examples can be so counter-productive they actually drive custom away rather than attract it.

There is a successful advertising campaign in the UK for a brand called Ronseal - they make various varnishes and exterior coatings, etc - their slogan is "It does what it says on the tin!". This slogan has become a popular catchphrase here.

I would submit that "Kodie's Lawn Services" does what it says on the tin! :thumbsup: