Honda GX 240

fudpucker068

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, I have a 8HP Honda GX 240 from a cement mixer, that I would like to put on a snowblower. But it has gear reduction can I remove gear reduction cover and replace cover ? Also what else do I have to the engine before I put it on a snowblower?

Thanks Mark

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello all, I have a 8HP Honda GX 240 from a cement mixer, that I would like to put on a snowblower. But it has gear reduction can I remove gear reduction cover and replace cover ? Also what else do I have to the engine before I put it on a snowblower?

Thanks Mark

The crankshaft probably won't work on the snowblower....

The crankshaft on the Honda GX240 reduction-unit engine is unique to that style motor; the crank is specifically designed to drive the gear-reduction system only, and will not allow easy fitting of the pulley(s) needed to for the snow blower (I assume you are trying to fit this to a 2-stage machine, most have 2-pulleys). Of course, you could tear out the crankshaft and fit in a correct-size version, but by the time and ($$) you'll spend to do that, you'd be better of trying to find a more suitable engine that can bolt on direct.

fudpucker068

Forum Newbie
Threads
The crankshaft probably won't work on the snowblower....

The crankshaft on the Honda GX240 reduction-unit engine is unique to that style motor; the crank is specifically designed to drive the gear-reduction system only, and will not allow easy fitting of the pulley(s) needed to for the snow blower (I assume you are trying to fit this to a 2-stage machine, most have 2-pulleys). Of course, you could tear out the crankshaft and fit in a correct-size version, but by the time and ($$) you'll spend to do that, you'd be better of trying to find a more suitable engine that can bolt on direct.

Robert thank you for you response. Do you think it would be possible to machine crankshaft to required size ? My brother has a machine shop. The motor did not cost me anything at this point. I assume I would need gasket kit,new case cover and gasket, new cover for this engine is on internet for about $ 25.00 .

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert thank you for you response. Do you think it would be possible to machine crankshaft to required size ? My brother has a machine shop. The motor did not cost me anything at this point. I assume I would need gasket kit,new case cover and gasket, new cover for this engine is on internet for about $ 25.00 .

I don't think so. Our tech guy tells me the crankshaft used on engines fitted with gear reduction is a 'stubby' tip design, so probably not enough metal there to machine and fit the pully(s)

Does the snow blower require 1 or 2 pullys to be mounted to a crankshaft?

fudpucker068

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't think so. Our tech guy tells me the crankshaft used on engines fitted with gear reduction is a 'stubby' tip design, so probably not enough metal there to machine and fit the pully(s)

Does the snow blower require 1 or 2 pullys to be mounted to a crankshaft?

1 Pulley that is ok I will just look for another engine or take my chances with new crank shaft and new cover I will have all summer to get ready for next winter. lol Thanks