ac powered starter for lawn mower

pokeytwins

Threads
Hi, when I lived in the snow belt I loved the plug in starter for my huge blower. Now no more snow and I am 30 years older and if i don't use a spray starter fluid, can't start. The mower has battery start but just not reliable and using spray a hassle.

So, I cannot find anyone who makes a "plug in" starter on a lawn mower. I realize "distance" is probably why no one does but I'm sure that is not an obstacle for many.

1st, does anyone make one.
2nd, if not has anyone modified a mower to handle an a plug in starter or added one.

By the way, my Cub Cadet 21" walk behind battery starter mower sucks.

thanks russell

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Never tried it but know why you couldn't adapt a snowblower starter over to a mower. I really can't see the advantage. If your mower is hard starting it isn't going to matter what type of starter you are going to use. Fix the hard starting problem which would be a lot cheaper. I have one of my customers that adapted a car battery to his lawn tractor which he says gives him longer starter run time. To me it would be a good way to over heat your starter and burn it out AC or DC.

pokeytwins

Threads
Lost you, mower is fine, the problem is me at 72. Just can't crank it hard enough.

My point, if an plug in starter can work on a SB, why would it not work on a mower. I don't suggest throwing 120V inot the battery pwoered I mean a starter can hadle the V.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pokey,
The mower is not fine if it will not start using the starter it was made with.
I for one am confused.
Does your mower already have an electric ( battery ) start or just a pull rope or both ?
You should not need to pull a starter cord hard or fast to start a 4 stroke.
So I am with Renoyldston, there is some reason why your mower is not starting easy which needs to be addressed.

When was the last time it was serviced and if so by who.
Was it a complete service including checking the valve lash or just an oil & filter change ?
What engine are we talking about ? make model & number will be very helpful.
How old is the engine ? this makes a difference to where we would look for problems.

I had a customer who used 1/4 can of starter fluid every time to start the Kawakasi 2 stroke on his mower and had been doing this for many years costing him hundreds of dollars all because he did not know there was an O ring on the carb that needed to be replaced periodically. O ring cost 45c can of starter fluid cost $8.00.
Now his 65 year old wife can pull start it easy and it fires up before the cord is fully out.
He bought her a $ 1500 Honda because she could not get the Big Bob to start and he is oft away for several months.

Every year some one comes ino the workshop with a mower that they have replaced the battery, solenoid, starter motor, carb, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel cap and they still can not get the engine to start.
15 minutes latter they leave feeling like idiots having spent $ 400 to $ 700 replacing perfectly good parts when all the mower needed was the valve lash adjusted.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Didn't mean to lost you. Just wanted to know what advantage's that a AC starter would have over a DC starter? I have worked on both and have seen the same problems with both. I would say if that is what you want do, do it because I really don't see why a snow blower starter wouldn't work on a mower. hust don't mix engine brands. I do under stand about getting old because I am older then you and yes its a B losing your strength.

Bob E

Threads
The cheapest and easiest way would be to use a corded drill.

swrdawg

Forum Newbie
Threads
:laughing: imagine the built in weed eater you will have if the socket gets stuck on that nut..if you wont have to hold the run bar if you put a hose clamp around it either...lol this is where I can see the advantage of dc over ac:thumbsup: