Older Briggs / Homelite trash pump question

arch252

Threads
I have this older Briggs horizontal, I'm guessing about a 3.5 hp, not really sure because at some point the blower housing has been replaced so I don't have an engine code. The cylinder bore is 60mm. I tried to call B&S (twice) to see if they could look up their info to see what a 60mm bore would match to hp. Both times the B&S "assistants" were young girls who had absolutely no idea what they were talking about. One tried to convince me the engine code on this old flathead would be stamped on the valve cover. Good grief.

Anyway, I need to replace the rings and this engine is mounted to a Homelite trash pump and I have to remove the pump to open the case. The pump is connected to the block by four bolts only accessible from the inside of the pump. Furthermore, those bolts are behind the pump impeller. I have been somewhat delicate in trying to figure out how to remove the impeller with no success. I cannot find a service manual for the pump so I have no idea how the impeller is connected to the crankshaft. Is anyone familiar with this pump? Can someone tell me how to remove the impeller? I don't know if it is pressure fitted, threaded to the shaft (CW or CCW) or some other way. I don't want to cause any damage to the pump.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

The Homelite pump model number is 110SU1 1/2-1B, Serial number 50604880

Attachments

• 20160202_203426_resized.jpg
    20160202_203426_resized.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20160202_143121_resized.jpg
    20160202_143121_resized.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20160202_203404_resized.jpg
    20160202_203404_resized.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20160202_203413_resized.jpg
    20160202_203413_resized.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 10

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Any pump I ever worked on the impeller threads on. They would make it so when the pump is pumping the impeller would tighten. So I would sat CCW to remove the impeller. You may have to order the rings by cylinder bore size. A good engine machine shop should be able to help you out. They can measure the bore size and order the rings. They can also tell you if the cylinder walls are wore and need a oversize piston. Do the job right. You may have to pay for this service. Unless you have the tools to do so yourself.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This manual might be of help. Sorry manual won't post, will work on it.z

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try googling this for manual. Don't know why I'm having a hard time posting the site.

Riverside Pump Manuals

arch252

Threads
Thanks Rivets, you were right, it was threaded, just siezed on there, I had to weld a nut to the impeller to get an air wrench on it but it came off, CCW so you were double right. The rings I got for it are obviously not the right ones, I need someone who can tell me what hp a 60mm bore is. I'm guessing now it may be a 2hp. The cylinder looks great but since it was smoking I probably will have the cylinder measured for wear. I hate that the engine codes were only stamped on the blower housing back then, makes no sense to me, it's like putting the serial number of a gun on the handgrips.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks Rivets, you were right, it was threaded, just siezed on there, I had to weld a nut to the impeller to get an air wrench on it but it came off, CCW so you were double right. The rings I got for it are obviously not the right ones, I need someone who can tell me what hp a 60mm bore is. I'm guessing now it may be a 2hp. The cylinder looks great but since it was smoking I probably will have the cylinder measured for wear. I hate that the engine codes were only stamped on the blower housing back then, makes no sense to me, it's like putting the serial number of a gun on the handgrips.

Back then they stamped the numbers in the blower housing. As a rule the housing stayed with engine. Now they use a decal that can be washed off or painted over.