Buyers remorse

tdhandm

Forum Newbie
Threads
January 23, 2016
Today I went out to plow out from the about two feet of snow to find my Ventrac 4500K with yet another problem. Although it started and will move forward and backwards it will not steer and the snow blade will not operate. The Ventrac has 167 hours on it. I checked the hydraulic fluid level to make sure it was OK and then called dealer. My dealer says it is my fault because I didn’t read the service manual as the machine needs hydraulic service after fifty hours and that is why it won’t work. I rechecked my manual which says to change filter after one thousand hours not 50 hours. This is just another in a long list of problems I have had with this overpriced machine. Right from the beginning the machine backfires when you turn off the key and I have been given several conflicting instructions on how to make it stop doing this. Also the speedometer has never worked. I had only a few hours on the tractor when the fuel pump quit working and was replaced with a makeshift electric fuel pump. I could go on about other problems concerning broken bolts and belts but I’m told that those are just “minor things” and I will love this machine. It is true that I do like the tractor when it is working but it is not reliable and you cannot depend on it. Buyers beware.
Regards,
Ray L Dixon

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would skip the dealer and contact Ventrac directly. Calmly explain your problems and see what they have to say. Don't work on them very often, but when I have contacted them they are very helpful. You can do so through this Website. Make sure you include as much info as possible including, Model & Serial numbers of both the unit and engine, DOP, past problems and what was done by whom, with dates + costs. Why you are dissatisfied by your dealer (tactfully). Let us know what happens.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would also contact Ventrac directly - I have had 2 - 4200 31 HP units, but both have had the 3 cyl. liquid cooled engines.
I had 900 trouble free hours with the first 4200 and am nearly at 900 hours on this one.
I love my Ventrac and would not trade it for any other machine.
We just had around 24" of HEAVY snow and the Ventrac with blower did what much larger tractors would not and could not do.

John Joseph McVeigh

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would also contact Ventrac directly - I have had 2 - 4200 31 HP units, but both have had the 3 cyl. liquid cooled engines.
I had 900 trouble free hours with the first 4200 and am nearly at 900 hours on this one.
We just had around 24" of HEAVY snow and the Ventrac with blower did what much larger tractors would not and could not do.

I'm on my first Ventrac... a 4500Y with a 25-hp naturally aspirated, liquid-cooled Kubota diesel engine. I just hit 200 hours. I recently had a bit of stalling, which I resolved by changing the first fuel filter (the one closer to the tank). The filter had debris of various sorts in it... apparently leaf dust, and some small winged insects.

Other than that, all that I have had to do has been routine maintenance... oil and oil-filter changes per the schedule in the Owner's manual, air-filter changed per the schedule in the Owner's manual, and greasing of the various zerks.

I have no regrets about my purchase.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Funny you should mention a plugged fuel filter -- with this last big snow, The 4231 was running fine and then bogged down and then ran fine.
I got it back into the garage and checked the gas tank. There were Stink Bugs in the tank and their legs and wings were stopping the flow to the filter. I got them cleaned out and everything is fine again. No regrets with owning the VENTRAC !

I'm on my first Ventrac... a 4500Y with a 25-hp naturally aspirated, liquid-cooled Kubota diesel engine. I just hit 200 hours. I recently had a bit of stalling, which I resolved by changing the first fuel filter (the one closer to the tank). The filter had debris of various sorts in it... apparently leaf dust, and some small winged insects.

Other than that, all that I have had to do has been routine maintenance... oil and oil-filter changes per the schedule in the Owner's manual, air-filter changed per the schedule in the Owner's manual, and greasing of the various zerks.

I have no regrets about my purchase.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
The OP has now said (on Tractor byNet) that Ventrac is going to fix the problems and the dealer admits he is not at fault.

HermTDI

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thats what I need to hear...I just took delivery of a new Ventrac 4500 w/KX523 blower . Living in Maine I need a "dependable" unit I hope after my Kubota nightmares I'll have something that will serve my needs without the headaches and drama I had with Kubota.

Splotch

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 4200 and used to love it until the hydro pump bearing failed under 900 hours. Ventrac doesn’t contact you back either. For the money these things cost you would think they would support them. I really considering selling my unit when it’s out of the shop and buying a Steiner or even a PT. That’s my two cents...