Scag SWZT vs Snapper Pro/Ferris SW35

Conn0r33

Threads
I am currently looking for my first commercial mower ever. I currently have two 21" Toro SR4(s). I would like to save a much money as possible and not spend a lot, but I want to spend enough that I am buying an excellent piece of equipment. I have been looking at pretty much every single company that makes a walk behind that has a dealer near me. I researched zero turns, stand on mowers, and walk behinds. I have settled on a walk behind so don't try to start selling me on a zero turn or something. Right now the front runners are the Scag SWZT and the Snapper Pro SW35. I will lay out some of the pros and the cons between the two mowers. I am open to other brand recommendations.

Scag
Pros:
1. I have and some people I know personally recommend Scag and not just recommend them but also so how well they have run for them. Also, lots of people here on the internet say that Scag is an amazing brand. So as far as I can tell by what other people say I believe that Scag is a quality mower.
2. I know Scags stripe well and that is pretty important to me.
3. Not much more expensive than Snapper Pro as far as I can tell.
Cons:
1. The closest scag dealer is about a 20-30 minute drive one way. I don't have a ton of clients yet so I'm not super concerned with time, but I would prefer to save time so at least I have it do something other than driving a mower to a dealer.
2. Smaller engine so I'm not sure how well it will do considering I want to mulch pretty much 100% of the time and use a sulky.
3. Not the Velocity+ deck.
4. Not sure how well it mulches.

Snapper Pro
Pros:
1. The dealer is super close. My current dealer carries snapper pro and from my house to the dealer is about a five minute 5 drive if that.
2. Has two engines to choose from either Kawi and B&S and the B&S has plenty of horsepower.
3. Cheaper by a bit, but if you factor in how big of an engine it comes with it is much cheaper than other walk behinds with that much power.
Cons:
1. The question of quality. I heard that snapper pro at one point used and might still be using more plastic than competitors. I heard in the 90s or early 2000s that they used plastic pulleys or something. I'm just not sure if they are quality I have always kind of thought of Snapper as cheap.
2. Not sure how well it mulches.
3. Not sure about striping. I've seen pictures that look really good and others that don't.

Mulching capabilities are VERY important considering I would prefer to mulch 100% of the time other than maybe fall clean ups.
I'm planning on getting either a 48" or a 52" with either a 30" or 21" Toro push mower.
One thing that is the same with both models it that there are no scalp rollers on the 36" one in the middle on the 48" and on the 52" it has rollers in the middle and sides. So for the option of more scalp rollers I might go with the 52 inch.
My Toro push mowers have been awesome so I thought I might go with a Toro/Exmark but when I found out that a floating deck hydro drive was going to cost at least $8,000 I started looking at other brands

I feel like I am forgetting some details that I might need to add, but for now just ask if you need any more information to help me pick the right mower.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
SCAG is a very good mower. Well built and cuts well with the Velocity deck. I love there machines, but very rare around here and dealer offers no financing and is expensive (7200$ for a 36").

I am going to get a Ferris FW35 (same as a Snapper, but a litlle better). Snapper and Ferris are not as expensive, but it doesn't mean they aren't as good.

If you can, try both mowers out. Dealer support and warranty is very important IMO. The decks on the Snapper/Ferris are vey good also and stripe well.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
And get an Exmark 30". Simply the best time saver over a 21". Thank me later.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Allright. There are some differences, but you will be fine. Don't get a 21".

Conn0r33

Threads
SCAG is a very good mower. Well built and cuts well with the Velocity deck. I love there machines, but very rare around here and dealer offers no financing and is expensive (7200$ for a 36").

I am going to get a Ferris FW35 (same as a Snapper, but a litlle better). Snapper and Ferris are not as expensive, but it doesn't mean they aren't as good.

If you can, try both mowers out. Dealer support and warranty is very important IMO. The decks on the Snapper/Ferris are vey good also and stripe well.

Here are the prices I have been quoted.
Scag:
Scag SWZT 48" $5,000 they said they didn't care if I paid cash or financed. I also asked if they had any winter deal. They did not there go my two ways of possibly getting a better price. :laughing:
Another dealer's price was $5,500 but they had a winter deal which made it $4,499
Snapper Pro
I wasn't that interested in Snapper Pro/Ferris at the time so I only called one ferris dealer.
FW35/SW35 48" $5,599 for the FX Kawi
SW30/FW30 36" $4,399
Toro
Floating deck Hydro-drive 48" $7,777

Conn0r33

Threads
Allright. There are some differences, but you will be fine. Don't get a 21".

Yes. I'm switching to a 30 so much better, but I need to keep my 21" for one lawn that has such a small gate. Haha.
I understand that there are differences, but the closest dealer is at least 26 miles away. That would take me at least 30-40 minutes one way. Compared to my Toro dealer that is only 5 minutes away.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yea, them prices are low in the States. Ferris FW35 48" is 7400$ here. It's pretty good considering the harsh exchange rate. But, the SCAG dealer is nuts tho.

Toro and Exmark are always expensive and not always good. A 48" Turf Tracer around here is 9800$ + 15% sales tax.

I would go with the SCAG just because it is such a good looking machine and it performs well.

Conn0r33

Threads
Yea, them prices are low in the States. Ferris FW35 48" is 7400$ here. It's pretty good considering the harsh exchange rate. But, the SCAG dealer is nuts tho.

Toro and Exmark are always expensive and not always good. A 48" Turf Tracer around here is 9800$ + 15% sales tax.

I would go with the SCAG just because it is such a good looking machine and it performs well.

Even considering that the dealer is much farther away?
Also the Scag 48 has a 15 HP engine I think. Is that enough power to mulch 100% of the time even during growing times of the season? Also I will be using a sulky as much as possible. Is that enough power to handle all of that.
The 52 scag has 19 HP I think.
Compared to the 52" SW35 which has 25 HP I think depending on what engine you pick.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ferris dealer is 45 minutes away and is awsome. Exmark/Toro dealer is 30 minutes away and is not as cool. I know the Ferris shop better. I know there son and his cousin. Don't mind driving the extra 15 minutes.

The 15/48 should be fine, but don't expect to fly thru tall thick wet grass on those bi-weekly contracts or during the begining of the season.