Scag SWZT vs Snapper Pro/Ferris SW35

sjessen

Threads
How much horsepower do I need to mulch at almost any speed within reason and ride on a sulky and going up hills if I needed to on thick healthy lawns? How much would be required to get me the best mulching performance in most conditions.
I realize muching is harder for the mower to handle so I can't just drive 7mph over 10" tall thick thick grass but I just want to know what is needed for most cases.

These are not easy questions to answer. If you really want to mulch in all conditions the Snappers may be the way to go. Full disclosure I have never run a Scag so have no idea how they would do in heavy conditions.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do know the Ferris clumps less than Exmark. I know you don't have Exmark on the radar, but I did. I read the most I could about them. The decks are tighlty baffled causing clumps on wet grass or wet long grass. I even see it of my own eyes on some properties. The Ferris/Snapper on the other hand are good at not clumping as I can see. This is by reading. No experience apart from trying them on bone dry grass.

If you mulch, you need power. But, I don't think you will be able to mulch all lawns in early spring. It's just too much to precess. I say get the mulch kit and keep it for when June arrives. April-May is way too wet and the lawn grows a lot. You will end up with a lot of deck build up and probably some stragglers all over the place.

Conn0r33

Threads
The Scag has the Hydro-Gear ZT-2800 compared to the SW35 that has the Hydro-Gear ZT-3100 with 7" cooling fans. Is this something I should take into consideration? Is there a big difference between the ZT-2800 and the ZT-3100?

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Absoluetly! ZT-3100 is for commercial use.

This has been strongly debated on forums. All tho, the SCAG isn't a heavy zero turn mower, it should be fine with the ZT-2800.

Conn0r33

Threads

This has been strongly debated on forums. All tho, the SCAG isn't a heavy zero turn mower, it should be fine with the ZT-2800.

So is the ZT-2800 not for commercial use, but works well because the SWZT is so lightweight?
Also, I was afraid that the engines on SWZT were underpowered, but I found out that Toro, Exmark, and Bobcat all use the same HP amount with the corresponding deck size as the Scag. Although, Bobcat and maybe Toro and Exmark use the FX series Kawi instead of the FS series that the Scag uses. I have been told that the difference between the FX and FS is hardly anything that the air filter may be different and maybe something else, but hardly anything is different.

Conn0r33

Threads

Is it a bad thing that a commercial mower (the SWZT) has a residential Hydro in it? Should I be concerned about this?

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think the motors on the SCAG had an issue with air filters. Some got a canister to cover up the air filter better.

You should be fine. Normally, ZT-2800 hydros are found in entry level zero turn mowers. Now, you just have a WB that is lighter. They don't work as hard. The reason why SCAG did this was most probably to lower the price of the unit and attract more customers. If you want, you can research about this. It is strongly debated. It worried me too, but like I said, the weight is a factor.

Conn0r33

Threads
Well, my main problem is that hardly anyone mulches except for leaves during the fall. That makes it very hard to find out what is the best mower for me when you can find a ton of reviews on mowers, but hardly any about mulching. Snapper Pro/Ferris and Scag are what I'm considering the most, but if there was someone like me who mulches all year that knew and said this is the best mulching mower whatever brand it is I would probably go with it because I pretty much only care about mulching. I mean I would prefer a walk behind with hydros and a floating deck, but my number one concern is mulching.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Same problem here, but with the Ferris. Not sure if I should buy a mulch kit or not.

So, I am going to get an OCDC to side discharge and a bagger from some lawns. Mulch kits are expensive and a pain to remove.