New Mower Tips

BenJoeM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys,

Just bought a new mower Poulson Pro - 550 Briggs and Stratton Engine Push mower.

The guy who sold this baby to me said I needed to run a full tank of gas through it with out mowing to make the sure the engine reaches its full strength and after 5 hours change the oil again.

I would love some feedback on this advice since I don't want to have to buy a new mower in 6 months.

BenJoe

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have never heard of that one before.
Usually the mower should arrive ready to mow after you fill the oil.
For the first tank or two it is a good idea to make light cuts so the engine does not work too hard and not to leave the engine idleing for long times.
Oil should be changed very often & I like to do it after the first tank full of fuel checking carefully for foreigh objects in the oil.
Next change at 5 hours would be good and again before you stop mowing for winter.
after that normal changes as per the instruction manual.

It is always better to get the mower shop o do the first oil change as they know what to look for and if there are going to be a warranttee claim you can prove it was done properly.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey guys,

Just bought a new mower Poulson Pro - 550 Briggs and Stratton Engine Push mower.

The guy who sold this baby to me said I needed to run a full tank of gas through it with out mowing to make the sure the engine reaches its full strength and after 5 hours change the oil again.

I would love some feedback on this advice since I don't want to have to buy a new mower in 6 months.

BenJoe

I've also never heard of running an engine like that. As far as changing the oil at 5 hours goes, most mower engines have a break-in period before they reach there max power and most manufacturers recommend the first oil change be made after the first 5 to 10 hours depending on who the manufacturer is and every 100 hours there after. ON that push mower with that Briggs & Stratton 140cc, 550ex Series engine I'd change it at 5 hours like the guy said and once a season after that. Also check and clean the air filter often or every couple of times you mow.